Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 39

Re: BT FTTC Cabinet - ECI

Go to solution

Only a few weeks left and if cabinet just installed then you need to be writing to Santa now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 39

Go to solution

@syan123 wrote:

BT keeps saying that the cabinet will go live for orders before Christmas.

If I'm not mistaken; don't BT Retail get their figures from BT Wholesale/Openreach? imjolly any ideas?

If it hasnt had its fibre pulled yet, you're going to need a lot of luck for it to be ready by Christmas. They usually test cabinets for a long time after installation (Quite a few weeks) depending on the size and environment and if it hasn't had fibre pulled yet, this wouldn't have been started yet.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 39

Go to solution

As far as ai am aware they use the dslchecker like other ISPs. If that shows available then you can get fibre otherwise you wait

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Bigmac77
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 39

Go to solution
  • Why not set up changedetection.com to moniter the BT dslchecker for your number, that way the moment they update it (most likely to say VDSL is available), change detection will email you and you can place order.
0 Ratings
syan123
Contributor
Message 35 of 39

Go to solution

Forgot to mention - we are actually directly in contact with Openreach via the Constorium so it is Openreach saying that the cabinet will go live before Christmas.

I think I heard the cabinet making a fan noise yesterday while getting back from Uni by the guys were still doing works over there. 

From it seems like - they just have fibre + testing left to do. Everything else is done.

syan123
Contributor
Message 36 of 39

Go to solution

Well, had a talk with an engineer yesterday and found out that fibre is pulled up to the manhole and he was nice enough to show me the PCP where I found that all the necessary connections have been made.

All that is left is install 3m of fibre from the manhole to the cabinet and connect the monitoring cable. 

On the sticker it actually says that the cabinet has been tested.

How come can this take around a month or more?

chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 39

Go to solution

@syan123 wrote:

Well, had a talk with an engineer yesterday and found out that fibre is pulled up to the manhole and he was nice enough to show me the PCP where I found that all the necessary connections have been made.

All that is left is install 3m of fibre from the manhole to the cabinet and connect the monitoring cable. 

On the sticker it actually says that the cabinet has been tested.

How come can this take around a month or more?

Because the entire system as a whole needs to be tested once its set up - OR need to test the quality of the backhaul over a period of time.etc. Exchange equipment needs to be tested in place if it's new.etc.

You'll also find the cabinet has been sat around for quite a while (See sticker date) so once it's hooked up, OR will need to run updates on its firmware to make sure its up to date.

The cabinet is tested in the factory/assembly warehouse to certify the equipment meets power ratings, is PAT tested.etc. Otherwise if something was wrong once it has been deployed, they'd need to disassemble certain parts in the field - Not a very good idea in England with our weather.

And they need to update their databases which isn't an overnight job.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
syan123
Contributor
Message 38 of 39

Go to solution

Not very good news - do you think they'll make it until 24th December?

They keep saying that it will be available by then ;O

syan123
Contributor
Message 39 of 39

Go to solution

Cabinet as Accepting Orders 😄

Now time to wait for Wholesale to update their databases.