Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
syan123
Contributor
Message 1 of 39

BT FTTC Cabinet - ECI

Go to solution

Hello, 

So the time has come and our Coopers Edge is finally getting fibre. Now what we are worried about is the amount of clients the cabinet can support.

Picture of the cabinet:

And the Stickers on the Cabinet

Does anyone know how many clients this cabinet supports?

Thanks.

38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: BT FTTC Cabinet - ECI

Go to solution
up to 256 users
Gribley
Contributor
Message 3 of 39

Go to solution

John, love it that you can tell from sight/piccy 😄 how impressive is that

spotted the 256L on the piccy, I have now lost my faith in your mystic skills 😄  (overlap on imjolly post, I did spot it beforehand honest)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 39

Go to solution

if you look at label it shows small cabinet 256L but is that not just 128 customers?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
syan123
Contributor
Message 5 of 39

Go to solution
This is exactly why we are worried. Our PCP is full and a new one is being placed. So if the DSLAM only supports 128 customers, it will be full within three days if not less.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 39

Go to solution

then better order quickSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
syan123
Contributor
Message 7 of 39

Go to solution

Yeah

lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 39

Go to solution
ECI cabs have more than 128 ports. I think they can hold 6 fibre cards, each card supports something like 48 ports but they always have to leave 5 spare on each card for some reason.

It was explained to me once but I forgot.....
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 39

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

if you look at label it shows small cabinet 256L but is that not just 128 customers?

@lines_man wrote:
ECI cabs have more than 128 ports. I think they can hold 6 fibre cards, each card supports something like 48 ports but they always have to leave 5 spare on each card for some reason.

It was explained to me once but I forgot.....

The ECI cabinet model in the picture can support both 128 and 256 lines from what I've read - They don't look any different from the exterior.

I believe all the difference is, is the DSLAM (ECI M41) is just populated with higher density/more line cards with the 256 line cabinet.

If it says 256L on the back though I'd lean towards the 256 figure as that's what was approved by the engineer who did the initial testing at the factory/warehouse.

Edit - Re: capacity of ECI cabs - The M41 can be populated with up to four 64-port line cards (provided external splitters are used, which there are in the cabinet) so a 256 cab is fully populated. Not sure on whether OpenReach install more backhaul capacity than the usual 1Gbps most 128/96 cabinets have though.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 39

Go to solution
this link may clear up any confusion http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm