Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfenceman
Expert
Message 11 of 39

Re: BT FTTC Cabinet - ECI

Go to solution

I believe only Huawei cabinets have been installed under the connectingcambridgeshire programme as they are "vectoring ready", where the ECI ones are not.  I also have a vague recollection that an Openreach engineer said they had stopped using them nationally but this is clearly not true.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 39

Go to solution

@dfenceman wrote:

I also have a vague recollection that an Openreach engineer said they had stopped using them nationally but this is clearly not true.

Not quite sure about this.

It makes sense re: vectoring but the problem with only using the Huawei Kit is you have a choice of the MA5616T (Up to 192 Lines - four 48-channel line cards) and the MA5603T (Up to 288 Lines) - Nothing is there for areas requiring 256 lines without the M41- You'd need to provision two smaller Huawei DSLAMs or underprovision a larger Huawei DSLAM (Which usually resides in the much larger cabinet) for an area requiring 256 lines.

Either Huawei comes out with a higher density line card or Openreach would need to source a new DSLAM model to replace the M41 DSLAM if they were to start replacing their ECI roll-out with another vendor (Unless they just install multiple/larger Huawei DSLAMs instead).

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 39

Go to solution
also reliance on one supplier is bad business practice hence the reason both Huawei and ECI modems are in use and home hubs of several manufactures as it provides continuity of service
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 39

Go to solution
There is no difference from the outside on an ECI dslam. They come in 2 variants the 128 which may only have one 64 port card or have two cards. The 128 can be upgraded to a 256 by installing two additional cards as well as associated multi core connecting cables in the dslam.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
syan123
Contributor
Message 15 of 39

Go to solution

Regarding the modem/hub supplied by BT - I don't want to use the stock supplied by BT.

I was planning to use the Asus DSL-AC68U ADSL/VDSL Wireless Dual Band Router or AVM FritzBox! 7490.
I think it is worth investing in a high quality router/modem as I will have full 80Mbps (less than 30m from cab).

What would you recommend guys?

Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 39

Go to solution
The HH5 is an excellent modem/router.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Bigmac77
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 39

Go to solution

@ray_dorset wrote:

If you can live with the resyncs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 39

Go to solution

@Bigmac77 wrote:

@ray_dorset wrote:

If you can live with the resyncs.

That does not happen to everyone - I am with ray

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 39

Go to solution
same here no problems with the hub 5
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 39

Go to solution

I've got to admit that I've had a lot of issues with the HH5 restarting & resyncing. My HG612 which I got after being fed up with the HH5 has no problem maintaining the full 80/20 sync for months on end literally with at least a 10dB SNR on the downstream so it's not a line problem. Currently at 30-days uptime for this sync and that's only because I restarted it when configuring things.

Could have been a faulty batch with regards to the HH5 being faulty.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings