cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT FTTP 900/110 installed yesterday.....

..... and it works!

Below maybe helpful for others considering FTTP, especially if moving from Virgin Media cable.

Virgin Media retentions could not get the price of their 1Gbps  1130Mbps down (565Mbps guarantees)  52Mbps up  service to match/beat the price for BT  FTTP 900/110 with 700Mbps down guarantee. BT need to up there guaranteed minimum upload speed from 10Mbps as it looks out of place these days. Even with the inflation plus 3.9% March price increases I should still be paying less at the end of 24 month contract than I payed Virgin for a slower service (350/40 Speed test 17ms ping, 377.83Mbps down 37.15Mbps up). So I signed up for BT FTTP.

Install day arrives
Openreach BT engineer arrives at 8:02am, we go over the options to get fibre to a first floor room from current pole at rear of building.

Reject loft route which old BT line takes, no cherry picker  available to go around building from rear. I mention all the poles have CBTs on them and point to a pole across the street. Engineer assesses other pole for cable height across residential street. Calls second Openreach engineer to assist, and cable is safely run at suitable height across to front of house (calibrated pointy stick used to confirm).

Engineer fits internal CSP and ONT, resolves issues with changing CBT port and a cable  fault. I setup a single PC to the SH2 (smart setup off) and do a speed test, full download (900Mbps +) but half speed upload (50Mbps). Line is -14 for light.

Engineer calls to check build/profile on line and 5mins later full speed. Landline number ported over without issue from Virgin Media shortly after.

So no drama, neat install, professional Openreach engineers.

Speed test today with everything switched over (50 devices) from Virgin Media.
PING 6ms DOWNLOAD 920.67 Mbps, 111.23 UPLOAD Mbps
https://www.speedtest.net/result/12575156989

Latency vastly improved over Virgin, very noticeable by family members especially the online games players in the house (WoT,  Final Fantasy XIV, Halo, Battlefield 1/V ). 

Video streaming services  (YouTube, Disney+, Netflix, Prime etc.) are working better than Virgin during  peak time, I suspect Virgin are having local infrastructure growing pains again as it was fine up until a few months ago.

Not using SH2 (Super Hub 2) for WiFi, using 5 original Whole Home Wifi (3 on ethernet backhaul) and getting 550-150Mbps over WiFi depending in location/hardware.
SH2 for Ethernet only routing seems improved over my old Asus RT-N66U (merlin firmware) and is not causing  any issues for basic home use.

However BT need to enable SH2 modem/bridging mode with VoIP enabled, the same as the Virgin Media Superhubs do, so you can retain VoIP and use a 3rd party router.

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT FTTP 900/110 installed yesterday.....

You don't need the SH2 to have modem mode to use  a 3rd party router. Just disconnect the SH2 and connect your router to the ONT aand set up a PPPoE connection.

User name bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password BT

This is assuming you do not have digital voice as you must use the SH2 for that.

Message 3 of 10

As per my post I have Digital Voice landline (very elderly relatives).

There are other workarounds, it would just be better overall for SH2 to have a simple modem/bridged mode with working Digital Voice like Virgin Media Superhubs already do.

So modem/bridging mode is a feature request for BT, not an issue so far personally and I will probably be near end of contract by the time it is.
Message 4 of 10

I find it very frustrating that the SH2 does not have a way of turning off routing so I can use digital voice but not be dependent on the SH2 for routing. I presume there is a not insignificant subset of customers that have their own router and home network equipment and don't want to be stuck using the SH2.  Alternatively BT should offer a separate device that can be plugged into the home network for a digital voice connection.  If Vonage can do it, then surely BT could offer something similar.  I imagine it is a lost revenue opportunity.

Message 5 of 10

Can you please advise on what router best works for BT FF or just any recommendations. I'm currently looking at ASUS RT-AX58U WIFI 6 AX3000 Dual-Band Mesh WiFi System Router, what do you think?. I have BT Full Fibre 900 but the max speed I can get is 550/600. I have called BT but one of the staff told me I can't get more that that as my speed is capped to 600 (That is is a different issue as she appears she doesn't have a clue how things works after she told me because I plugged in Sonos , that will seriously affect my speed even when not in use??) but find your reply very useful

Anyone who can help will also be great.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@fademidun  :  I am by no means a networking professional and am hesitant to make recommendations.  That said, ASUS makes high quality gear and the one you are looking at certainly seems to be well regarded.  I think most any high quality router should work fine with BT FTTP.  I am using a Synology RT2600ac and some MR2200ac's for a WiFi mesh.  You will find good reviews and bad reviews on almost any router.  I have been happy with my Synology but there is a newer model purportedly coming soon, and Netgear, ASUS, Linksys and others all make high quality equipment.  As long as the router you choose is relatively high spec and has the features you want, I don't think the choice will make a major difference in your connection speed with the outside world (the WAN).  

What sounds troubling is having the BT Fibre 900 service but only getting 550/600 download speed.  Is this with the BT-suppled router?  I always keep the BT router on hand in case of any connection issues, since BT will expect you to plug their router in to perform remote diagnostics.  If the speed is with the BT equipment and when you have only one device connected to ensure you are getting a clean speed test, then something sounds off and I wouldn't expect a third party router would improve on that.  Did the BT staff give more info on why your speeds are "capped"?  You are right that the notion that Sonos will "seriously" affect your speeds is nonsense.  Even if in use they don't use much bandwidth.  

I know it isn't helpful but if it were me, I would push back on BT about the speeds you are getting, which will undoubtedly require you to use their supplied router for testing and limiting the number of connected devices during the tests.  

Message 7 of 10

@Digitalsafariwrote:
As per my post I have Digital Voice landline (very elderly relatives).

There are other workarounds, it would just be better overall for SH2 to have a simple modem/bridged mode with working Digital Voice like Virgin Media Superhubs already do.

So modem/bridging mode is a feature request for BT, not an issue so far personally and I will probably be near end of contract by the time it is.

There was no mention of digital voice in your OP, only that the phone number was ported from VM.

Although it is happening more as Openreach roll out a 'Stop sell' to exchange areas there are still some who remain on copper services for telephone for now.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@KennethS Thanks so very much for your unbiased comments/advise. I will wait to hear from BT as I have raised this as  complaint, unsatisfactory with the service and staff contacts, staff knowledge extremely poor and she came across very arrogant trying to cover up her poor technical and product knowledge. I have also make reference to this BT Community thread and few. Will keep you update on reply and what they have to say

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Got an email today saying case/complaints closed. And that's it. No comments or update in the case note, no contact, no calls as promised, no further communication other than case closed. Unbelievable! This company is just getting worse

1. Still experiencing the problem
2. This is a complaints, not just about speed, it's also about staff conducts, product misled before contract
3. BT promised to call to discussed the issue about the complaints and never received any calls and now case is closed. on what condition

What did you (BT) has done to resolve the issue, no contact, no help/effort to resolve the issue, nothing in the case note other than case closed. Can't believe this. This is just getting worse and worse

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Speak to the FTTP team. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings