Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PlocC89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BT FTTP ORDER LONDON

Hi all,
I've been thinking about switching providers for the past few months. I've been with talktalk for nearly 10 years and haven't really had any issues with them until recently after they started increasing prices. I'm currently on an adsl2 broadband package which gives me some decent speeds, around 16mb down and 1mb up. I've never really thought about getting fibre because my download speeds have always been decent although uploading is a pain. After talktalk increased their prices I thought now's a good opportunity to get a good fibre deal and see how it is.

So, I started looking for deals and at first I thought that virgin was the ISP with the fastest speeds in the UK but they were a bit pricy so I checked out bt infinity. When I used the postcode checker to my susprise it said I could get speeds of up to 330mb like virgin. So I thought to myself how could this be? I thought bt only goes up to 77mb? I then done some research online and found out about fttp and fttc etc. which explains how this is possible. After all this I came to understand that fttp is better than virgins cable system and is future proof so because of this it was a no Brainer to order bt infinity. So, I ordered the BT infinity 1 special black Friday deal on the 17th for now with speeds of up to 55mb because I cant afford the 300mb at the moment but I have the choice to upgrade in the future so no worries.

So, once I ordered I got an email with the date that an engineer will be coming to fit my fibre line
(8th December) . I was also told in the email that both my phone and broadband will be using the same fibre line. Just to note I ordered all of this online so I haven't spoken to any BT employees yet.

Taking into account all of this I've got a couple of questions for you forumers

1. I ordered on Friday yet the installation date is nearly 3 weeks away despite bt saying on their website that they aim to get new customers up and running within 2 weeks. Is this anything to worry about or standard procedure for fttp?

2. Can I trust BT to handle everything without calling them bearing in mind I ordered online or does fttp complicate things? I'm getting worried because I've seen on this forum fttp customers and their struggles with delays etc.

3. The email said that there was only one installation date but I thought there's two for fttp?

4. Finally, I know that fttp is usually more widespread in rural areas but I live in the middle of London so will BT still handle this case in the usual way?

Thanks for reading and I eagerly await your responses

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
adslmax
Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT FTTP ORDER LONDON

Are you sure you've ordered FTTP and not FTTC?

Did the checker you used say FTTP and not FTTP on Demand?

0 Ratings
PlocC89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

When I entered my postcode on the BT broadband packages page it said I could get speeds of up to 300mbps and the ADSL checker says WBC fttp so definitely fttp
0 Ratings
adslmax
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

That's all good then. Good Luck...!
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

1. I ordered on Friday yet the installation date is nearly 3 weeks away despite bt saying on their website that they aim to get new customers up and running within 2 weeks. Is this anything to worry about or standard procedure for fttp? Yes standard 

2. Can I trust BT to handle everything without calling them bearing in mind I ordered online or does fttp complicate things? I'm getting worried because I've seen on this forum fttp customers and their struggles with delays etc. Yes just let the order progress normally

3. The email said that there was only one installation date but I thought there's two for fttp? It sounds like you are having a new connectorised install and that needs only one visit 

4. Finally, I know that fttp is usually more widespread in rural areas but I live in the middle of London so will BT still handle this case in the usual way? yes handled like all other installs 

Message 6 of 18

Hi @PlocC89 and welcome.

It sounds like the order will progress as normal as @john46 has mentioned. Can you please keep us updated on how you get on?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
PlocC89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Interesting. So your saying theres a new method that needs only one visit. However when I enter my address on adsl checker (Check below) it says "two stage install" even though bt have only given me one installation date. Also I live in an old terraced house rather than a new developement so does this change anything. fttp.png

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 18

They have implemented connectorised installs which are one visit.

PlocC89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

So can this install be implemented on old infastructure. I found out fttp was installed in my area in 2013. Theres a telephone pole right outside my house and it looks something like this.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 18

Don't see why not as all it does is negate the need fo a CSP (splice point at the property).