cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT FTTP installation question (Underground wiring)

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

Are you just curious generally to what will be involved if and when FTTP can be ordered then?

Ultimately you don’t need to worry about it too much, OR will find a way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

As far as FTTP is coming, so is Christmas

If the image is of your existing copper cable house lead , once FTTP becomes available it will be a two stage installation and the survey note on the DSL checker will probably be ‘ partial DIG ‘ , and a long lead time should be given to account for the extra time needed for this type of installation.

The existing D100 will be almost certainly be regarded as irrelevant, a new Duct 56 is needed , and will be provided from the existing joint box to the house wall , it’s only provided once an order is made ( not before ) the first stage techs may try and push the fibre up the duct D100 first  before committing to digging in a new duct , but as you say the D100 is  not the full distance to the house wall from the box and simply gets to the customer side of a garden wall , so that attempt will fail

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

I don't mind getting the Duct 56 installation, it would be more of a professional install that way with a bit of disruption to the front garden!

I have an altnet available (Hey!Broadband provided by F&W Networks) but I'm hesitant to order from them as their FTTP labour work/build quality/network topology (CGNAT) are highly unfavourable to me. I mean look at a this shabby piece of installation: Hey!Broadband FTTP Install ... absolute dire!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

I doubt they will agree to only provide duct from the box to the customer side of a boundary wall and then lay the cable overground to the house wall , it would be a trip hazard and liable to be damaged , if the installation of a new duct the entire way from the box to your house wall isn’t any good for you , then that’s a problem, if there happens to be  a wall or fence that the cable could be fixed to , to get from the curtilage to the house wall in a continuous run , COW ( cable on wall ) is an acceptable method of cabling so that may be an alternative if such a wall or fence exists 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

There is a wall where the fibre can be fixed to. So will BT/Openreach entertain that or will they be adamant about installing ducting all the way to the house wall (CSP)? TBH after thinking about it, I wouldn't mind ducting all the way to the house wall (would be way more professional and future proofed for any other future wire installation) ... temporary pain in the front garden I guess but it's not the end of the world.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

I won’t ask how you have a picture of your house lead in an opened jointbox  , the image isn’t particularly clear but there was  for a period something called Duct  100 ( a 1 inch duct ) that was used , a bit like a rigid hose pipe and although called a duct it was more something to encase the copper cable  , and as you state , it’s not really a big enough duct to get a second cable in alongside the copper one , and often the duct 100 doesn’t run the entire distance from the box to house wall , in these cases although Openreach  may try to get a second cable into the D100 , it should be treated as if there were no duct at all , so a brand new duct 56 ( a 2.5 inch duct ) to the house from the box in the photo 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

Why have you copied and pasted a previous post by @iniltous 

0 Ratings