cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Fibre 100 / modem question

(I think) BT Infinity (2?). It gives about 65-70Mbps over our wifi pretty reliably, and we can run multiple HD streams into the house. Simply because it is cheaper, I’ve upgraded to Fibre 100 (>100Mbps) which is being installed next week.

Our current set up: BT Openreach modem -> Netgear R7000 router -> 24 port switch. I have Ethernet cabling through the house (from the switch) with wifi points (netgear routers castrated to act as APs) on wired connections around the house. I have a ton of static IP addresses set up in the R7000 which I have no wish to lose, and our wifi coverage in the house can’t really be improved upon.

Fibre 100 comes with a BT Superhub 2. The last BT hub I had when Infinity was installed went straight in the cupboard. But I’ve just clocked that the Superhub 2 is a combined router and modem. And now I am left wondering whether my existing Openreach modem can work with Fibre 100.

AIUI Fibre 100 is FTTC, not FTTP, so my incoming cable should remain copper, and so the Openreach modem should connect to it. But does anyone know whether that is actually right? Does the OR modem have a speed constraint in it, or some other incompatibility with Fibre 100? And if so, what is my best option if I need a new modem?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Fibre 100 / modem question

Fibre 100 is delivered either by G.fast which is copper or FTTP, neither of which will work with your existing modem.

If you are happy double natting, you can always turn off the wifi and DHCP on the SH2 and connect the Netgear to it LAN port SH2 to WAN port Netgear.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks. That sounds like the closest I can get to turning the SH2 into nothing more than a modem, right? If so that’s probably the best short term fix until I can come up with something better. 

ETA: having just rechecked I can see that the best offering BT has for my property is Fibre 250, and nothing faster. I assume that means it’s likely that I will be on g.fast and not FTTP. I can’t remember BT digging up the road recently either so that would make sense. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If you get FTTP for your connection just use your Netgear as usual by connecting it to the ONT instead of the Hub.

Message 5 of 6

@Greg66 

have you used the checker below? which would advise what speeds/products u can get? post up your results, covering phone number if you require advice etc

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thanks all. Confirmed I will be getting g.fast. I have bought an MT992 modem from eBay. Seems to be the simplest and most reliable solution. 

0 Ratings