cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Fibre 2 connection dropping out then a new IP is received

Hey guys, I did call BT few weeks back about this, no help!

I have realised in the past 4-5 months, the connection keeps dropping way too often. A new IP is then received, it's like the lease is very short, sometimes it'll do it 2-3 times a day at random times! It does come back up within a minute or two and I know it's not the Draytek, seeing the forum, it seems few others have got it! 

I use a DrayTek 2862 router not the BT one, it has worked fine for over 2 years now, just the last few months have been very annoying! 

I am on the 3.9.2_BT on the Draytek which was the latest, but I did the upgrade to this version after this issue begun. 

Any ideas? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Fibre 2 connection dropping out then a new IP is received

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone preferably from test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Sorry, should have stated, I have done the noise tests from the master socket, all good on that end. 

I do not have the old BT Smart Hub any longer, so can't test it with that, but doesn't explain why so many disconnects and only in the last few months. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

your ip address is dynamic so it basically changes everytime your router drops connection and restarts nothing to do with lease time

does router drop connection about same time or just random?

have you tried using test socket with filter to eliminate problems with master faceplate and internal wiring?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Dynamic IP's are leased out for however a short time, it's not true that with every reboot you'll get a new IP. Certainly was not the case 6 months ago when I did restart the router often as I was testing the WiFi and making other changes not related to the WAN connection, the IP would normally remain the same, frankly speaking, not bothered about the IP change, more concerned for the connection dropping, especially in the last 4 months perhaps. 

I was thinking maybe BT are doing some work at my local exchange, but they told me none is happening and they cannot find any issues on my line. 

Maybe someone else here has experienced this issue, the settings on the router are the same as before any of this begun to happen. 

0 Ratings