cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

BT Fibre 500 to 900 Upgrade - No change to upload speed

Go to solution

Hi, Hopefully somebody can provide some insight into this

I had stable speeds on the 500 package with >500 download and stable 67-69 upload speeds.

I have upgraded my package to 900 and the download speed have increased as expected, but the upload is still the same.

I am using a third party router Netgear R8000, however if I change over to the SH2 I seem to get the 50Mb upload cap I see a lot of mention to in the forum. Connecting directly to the ONT yields the same speeds as the router.

Is it possible that my upload has not been updated in the upgrade process?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Fibre 500 to 900 Upgrade - No change to upload speed

Go to solution

When was the upgrade activation as it can take 3/5 days for up speed to increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks @imjolly , its only been a couple of days. The download improvement was immediate, I thought the upload would be the same. I will wait a few more days and report back.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

As @imjolly  said the speed fluctuates on the first two weeks I was told this by my open reach engineer as the same thing happened to me my best advice would be to wait. 👍😀

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

I don't its the case that the speed fluctuates then settles down - the issue is normally a parameter change needs to be sent to the Hub to enable the Hub to take advantage of the new upload speed.

Having said that it's odd that a direct connection to the ONT (ie without the hub interfering) shows the same behaviour.

So wait say 5 days with the Hub humming away and post back here if things do not change for the better.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

@stevebrass do you think it's best to run the SH2 with the slower capped upload while waiting for the few days?

From what I have understood from other posts the SH2 has parameters / firmware that can limit/cap the connection,  but third party routers or direct ONT connection should bypass these.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

So to be clear. With your own router everything is as it should be; the upload speed issue is with the BT hub?

if that is the case unless you with to use the Digital Voice service you don’t need to use the BT hub. 

However if a fault develops in the future with your service you might need to install the BT hub. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

@stevebrass with my router and ONT I get the same speed as the previous 500 package ~67mb, with the SH2 this gets capped to 50Mb ( I suspect this is a parameter issue). From the 900 package I should be getting over 100?

I dont intend to use the SH2 or need DV.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution
Well yes - you should get 100mbps unless there is some congestion on the network. Are you testing via ethernet or wifi?
On balance I would leave the SH in place for a few days and report back if things don't improve. That way (if things do improve) you will have a SH that you know works. Then swap your own router in. You can of course connect your own router to the SH and run your wifi off your own router UNLESS you wish to avoid "double nat" issues. Can affect gamers and others who need to adjust firewall router settings .
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

@stevebrass I have switched back to the SH2 and just using my router in AP mode (so no NAT issue). When testing I am using Ethernet which is at full speed (and the only device on the network).

I don't think the network should be congested, my area has only just been upgraded and when my 500 package was installed last month the engineer said I was the first on the street to be connected.

I will leave it a few days and report back. Many Thanks for your help so far

0 Ratings