cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Forthay
Expert
Message 311 of 1,263

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart HubWa 2 upload throttling

Thanks @AandB I’ll ask the case manager when they call me back Sunday and run the test again.

The somewhat good news for me is when the case manager was running his speed tests remotely whilst I was on the phone earlier the speeds were consistently dire and more like Fibre250 or less. He is going to speak to the exchange about capacity and moving my vlan.

0 Ratings
AandB
Contributor
Message 312 of 1,263

I'd be hopeful that moving the vlan will help.  When I first had fttp over two years ago then I had a similar issue to you @Forthay and changing the vlan made a big difference.   So fingers crossed. 

duffman-
Beginner
Message 313 of 1,263

Well I've discovered something quite annoying, I was probably stupidly testing the Internet speed from only one device (wired PC). This always tops out at about 550mbps. I've tested today with 3 different laptops all connected to the same cable, and they all get 850-950mbps, instantly, on fast.com and speedtest.net. Back to the PC, and only 550mbps. 

So, I am getting that fast speed down my line, just on my main PC which should be the best machine I can't seem to hit that max speed.

So, completely different issue to the rest of you I think, but does anyone have a clue on why this might be? I've already checked:

Uninstall/reinstall drivers

Checked duplex settings, changed from auto negotiate to 1gbps full duplex, and back

Disabled all power save options on the NIC

Installed all latest Windows updates

Tried 3 different browsers, plus Steam and Epic Games store downloads, all max out at 550 ish.

Also, tested using iperf across the network to another device, the PC does transmit at gigabit speeds over the LAN, just the Internet speed seems to be unable to hit that speed

I honestly have no idea what it could be, its a gigabit NIC (intel(r) ethernet connection i219-v), powerful CPU and SSD drive so it cant be horsepower.

0 Ratings
bp1000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 314 of 1,263

Firewall ? 

Forthay
Expert
Message 315 of 1,263

@duffman-  delighted to hear you're sorted, result.

0 Ratings
wampots
Contributor
Message 316 of 1,263

I have just got my Fibre 900 upgrade today, using the smart hub 2 i get about 900 down and 120 up which is great

Usually i take the output from the BT modem to a netgear nighthawk x6 R8000, which worked fine with my previous 300 package, but with the 900 package i dont get any additional speed with this set up and still get about 300 on a wired connection, i am assuming that the R8000 is just not compatible with the additional speed when used as a router

I would like to use the R8000 as this has all of the IP information for my local network

Thus would it be possible to use the bt modem in to the home hub 2, this gives me the speed, then in to the R8000 just to control the network configuration, this way i could get the speed using the home hub but keep the R8000 for the network configuration, this also works well with the rest of my network, i have lot to cover and currently use 4 R8000 as access points, i have tried this but could not seem to get it to work

Alternatively i need to swap the netgear r8000 for a different router, thus BT modem in to a new router and then reconfigure my whole network, if this is the case what would be the best wifi 6 router to use? If there is a good netgear one that may help as i could utilise my current access points

Sorry for all of the questions i am new to this but enjoy playing with it, any help much appreciated

Thanks

Glenn

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 317 of 1,263

@wampots the Netgear R8000 needs hardware NAT acceleration enabled to achieve faster than 300 Mbps speeds - if you have any features enabled which inspect packets it is not enabled so you will need to disable any features like QoS, Parental Controls, Packet Inspection etc.  Even with everything turned off I'm not sure whether it will reach Gigabit download speed.

You can't run the SmartHub in modem only mode so you would be looking at a new router - there are some posts on here about some of the new Asus routers that also have Wifi 6.

0 Ratings
wampots
Contributor
Message 318 of 1,263

Thats really helpful many thanks, i have disabled all of the items you have mentioned last night and am still not getting more than about 300 so i think as you said i will change the router

The really pain is all of the port forwarding and address reservations that i have in the R8000, i literally run everything through my network sky TV etc would need to be set up again

I have been thinking about waiting for Wifi 6 and going with eero, i can then get a mesh network and the settings can be saved to the cloud so that if something needs replacing i dont have the same issues again in terms of having to set everything up again

I know the wifi speed would be slower but all of my data hungry things, PS4, TVs, heavy use Mac etc are wired so they should get the full speed and if i can get 500 ish on a mobile phone i think i can live with that

I have looked at the Asus routers that were mentioned on here and they look great, but i would like to avoid having the set up problems again if something needs replacing

Has anyone used Eero with BT FTTP?

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 319 of 1,263

@wampots you will need confirmation from someone that they get sufficient speed with the Eero - the problem with a lot of these routers is that they are designed for the US market which uses cable modems rather than PPPoE which is much more demanding on the cpu.  Personally I use pfSense as my router on a cheap ex-corporate HP SFF PC with an Intel dual port gigabit network card installed.

0 Ratings
wampots
Contributor
Message 320 of 1,263

Understood, i really appreciate your help here many thanks

0 Ratings