cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidM
Message 711 of 1,489

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart Hub 2 upload throttling..... Update

Hi @Ian_,

Thanks for posting. We deal with queries in turn so once you reach the top of the queue we'll be in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Ian_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 712 of 1,489

FINALLY!

3 months after being connected to full fibre, and a hate to think how many hours on the phone to BT, its all finally working as it should be!

928mb down and 107mb up, but most importantly, its stable, it hits this mark every time and stays there.

my speed used to be 850mb down, with 70mb up and stable but 2months for BT to realise the profile was wrong, after changing it, my upload jumped to 120mb but my download suffered, it would fluctuate rapidly between 650-350mb and was unstable.

I've spent the last month trying to sort this, endlessly chasing BT, we even tried fitting a new ONT to rule that out.

So yesterday, after telling BT the new ONT hasn't fixed it, they said there was no more they could do and after speaking to their manager, suggested that the line simply can't support the 900 speed and that I downgrade my package to the 500 (even though ive been hitting 850 in the past, logic would be it could surely?)

I wasn't taking no for an answer and fused to be fobbed off, I told them to please move my connection to a different VLAN. They said that wouldn't do anything as the VLAN my connection was on wasn't a "Hot VLAN" (their term for an over subscribed VLAN), I told them that I understand that, but please move it anyway as this has worked for a couple of others. And as anyone who has every played around with any computer based configuration would no, sometime things just don't work even though everything appears correct.

So yesterday, they agreed to get the VLAN moved.

It worked!  my upload is a little lower than id like but the main thing is everything is now fast, stable and most importantly, im getting what im paying for!

Anyone reading this with similar issues and being fobbed off with the "its over the guaranteed minimum", don't give up, keep calling them. They don't fully understand their product, they also don't seem to have a logical list of things to checkoff for a process of elimination. After they check the profile, that pretty much it, in there minds there is nothing else it could be.

The most annoying thing about all of this is the fact that BT doesn't seem to pass on a list of know issues to its customer service staff, who I have to say, on the whole, have all been really friendly and as helpful as they could be, its not their fault there hands are tied with BT's poor procedures. Most of the FTTP team I spoke to didn't even know about the Smart hub 50mb upload cap issue!

I hope this helps anyone else with issues, and don't give up!

Ian 

Barneyabz
Contributor
Message 713 of 1,489

Hi

I've been capped at 50mbit upload again, hope a mod can help.

Regards

BT Full Fibre 900
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 714 of 1,489

Hi @Barneyabz, I'm sorry the problem with your upload has returned, it's likely this will resolve itself over the next few days but I've sent you a private message so you can get in touch just in case we need to get the Hub team involved. 

0 Ratings
GezzaT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 715 of 1,489

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart Hub 2 upload throttling

Hello all. Sorry for the long post; been a bit of lurker on here but reached the end of the line for BT FTTP phone support so trying my luck in the forum and hoping someone can be of assistance please...

Full fibre 900 installed a few weeks ago including digital voice.

Robustly getting ~900 down on Ookla speedtest.net and fast.com (app and website) using ethernet with various devices and even when using servers in other countries.

Upload is variable and initially I was capped at 50 but that seems to have improved, possibly through firmware change.

The fastest I have ever achieved for upload is 103 over Wifi but have never had >90 on wired and in fact that was a one off and possibly spurious as I am pretty reliably getting 70-75 on ethernet, including direct PPPoE into the ONT. If I use a laptop and run multiple Ookla speedtests through ethernet, then unplug and use Wifi selecting the same Ookla server, I will pretty reliably get 300/90 on the wifi and 900/70 via ethernet. Plugging in to the ONT right away and doing the same I get 900/70 just as if I was wired into the Smart Hub 2.

The Smart Hub 2 has been replaced with no apparent change, and Openreach (very helpful and engaged) even came out and checked the line and ONT and said they think it's nothing to do with them and seems to be a BT issue.

BT FTTP phone support have been very enthusiastic to their credit and gone through plenty of steps, but sadly I have now been given the "it's your ports/cables" and "as there's no upload guarantee and you do have service there's nothing more we can do."

For clarity, I have Cat 7 cables and the devices are all gigabit capable as evidenced by the 900 download speed...

I noticed someone had mentioned changing the VLAN (I'm on a new build estate where >60 people have signed up in a matter of weeks through a gigabit voucher scheme) but I was told this isn't something that would be done, and the issue has now been closed.

So my question to the wisdom of the forum is: can anyone think of a reason why I can sporadically get over 100 download on Wifi, but have never been able to get this on ethernet, being stuck at about 70-75 even with PPPoE? And is there any point in pursuing the VLAN switch as has worked for someone else? I am primarily interested in the upload speed.

I can provide various firmware and other details if needed by personal message, and for what it's worth, I've run the ethernet tests on 3 recent macs and a Surface Pro 5, with Wifi tests on those plus various iPhones and iPads all relatively new. Have tried at different times of the week and day (including the wee hours) and have been through the process of using the red and yellow plugged ethernet cables that come with the hubs, and several of my own Cat6e and Cat7 cables.

Any help at all gratefully received! Thanks in advance...

0 Ratings
Ian_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 716 of 1,489

@GezzaT1010  if your upload is coming in around 70 that sounds suspiciously similar to what mine used to be before they realised my profile wasn’t correct.

I then used to get 120mb upload consistently but with download issues.

since the moved the Vlan, I now get 900/109 plugged in but only around 98-100mb upload over wifi (used to be 119 over Wi-fi)

from what I can work out, the upload in theory could be considerably faster, we have a leased line at work that is 1000/1000. The upload is throttled, no real reason for it not to be bang on 120mb up when the line can consistently hit over 900 down.

Out golf interest, how many people have an upload speed of 109mb?

Ian

0 Ratings
Ian_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 717 of 1,489

@GezzaT1010  Have you tried turning the ONT off for over 5 minutes, disconnecting the smart hub, plugging in your laptop via a cat5e cable and connecting it via PPPOE, turning on ONT (after being off for over 5 minutes it’s should be forced to download a new profile).

As you mention, it shouldn’t be possible to get 100mb over Wi-fi if you can only get 75 via Ethernet direct from the ONT as this should then be the max the Smart hub receives, it’s a strange one!

0 Ratings
GezzaT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 718 of 1,489

@Ian_  thanks very much for the response!

Yes, have done that a few times without much luck. Tried again just in case something might have been changed by BT digging around and to grab some screenshots.

For context, the following are on a 15" MacBook Pro running Mojave which is <1y old and an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I've disconnected all other devices in the house, and (having been woken up at ~0315 by a bin falling over 🙂 ) there is definitely no one else doing anything over Wifi. I'm sitting about 2 m from the hub in the same room when on Wifi.

Hopefully some images will be attached here to show the results but essentially an odd thing on the download while over PPPoE (not sure why, have had a solid ~900 up until now when doing it) showing ~90 despite multiple attempts and a cable swap, and stuck around 70 on upload, swapped right over directly into the Smart Hub2 with same cable and run again on the same server and back to ~900/70.

Then unplug to go to Wifi on the same laptop/server and 317/67, and on the iPhone/same server over Wifi it's 309/75.

As a potentially OTT sanity check, I used remote desktop to my work computer and just made sure the Ookla server I'm using doesn't have any upload issues and managed to get well over 115 upload from there so that should not be any limiting factor. Have also repeated all of this on a different Ookla server with similar results (not shown for conciseness.) 

Not sure what to make of this other than that is looks like I'm capped at around 70 upload somewhere in the chain, although this isn't necessarily a hard fixed cap as I have definitely had more than this on Wifi at different times. I wonder if there is anything dynamic going on which has decided that by and large ~70 is what I will get.

One thing I did notice when doing the speedtest on the remote work machine, is that I was provided with a much bigger range of servers which are geographically local to me - I'm not in the vicinity of Newcastle despite it coming up as the nearest server through BT when doing it at home. In fact, I am not able to see any servers closer than 80 miles away when testing through my FTTP. Not sure if that reveals anything useful about BT's VLAN or network setup but just putting it out there.

Again, any insights here would be most welcome. Given what the line is theoretically capable of, I cannot see why BT are unable to provide me with the 110-115 download they quote when selling the product. I need a stable, direct connection with the best upload I can get for work. The Wifi figures as expected drop off a bit away from the router, and the rest of my house is wired with Cat7 and MM fibre so I'd much rather be using that. Unsurprisingly, the download/upload is the same for any other computer in the house with a wired connection to the switch/SH2, with ~900/70... I'd like to be able to get at least to 100...

Laptop ethernet ONT PPPoELaptop ethernet ONT PPPoELaptop ethernet SH2Laptop ethernet SH2Laptop Wifi SH2Laptop Wifi SH2iPhone Wifi SH2iPhone Wifi SH2

0 Ratings
Ian_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 719 of 1,489

@GezzaT1010  this is all sounding a little familiar I’m afraid, I’m pretty certain from that you 70 upload is caused by wrong settings in the profile curve.

bear in mind that when I had this issue, it took me 2 months to fix with many many calls to BT, multiple FTTP team members had checked the profile and said it was fine, they even sent out openreach 3 times (which I didn’t) even though I was certain is was a software issue at BT’s end.

eventually, after all of that, a member of their technical team delved a couple of levels deeper (sorry, can’t remember the name of the system they used) and would you believe it, the profile had the upload capped at 70!

keep on at them, it’s 100% software, try asking for a guy called Chris or another called Oliver, both in the Exeter team, they should both know of my case, which they won’t be able to discuss, but at least they should know chances are it’s a software config issue.

hope you get it all sorted eventually.

Ian

GezzaT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 720 of 1,489

Thank for this, @Ian_
I'll get back in touch with the FTTP people and point them in the direction of this forum again. It's great to have a specific action point that I can ask them to look into... I'll report back on progress in case it helps anyone else. If any of the Mods are able to chip in with this to avoid rounds of phone calls I'd also be very grateful.
0 Ratings