Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NotJackieChan
Beginner
Message 721 of 1,263

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart Hub 2 upload throttling..... Update

Hi

This thread seems to be the point of call for upload throttling issues?

I have Fibre 900 and my upload is throttled to 70mbps. On a wired client I am getting the full 900mbps download speed but slow upload speeds.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Barneyabz
Contributor
Message 722 of 1,263

Hi 

I'm still stuck on 50 mbit upload cap. I had 100 mbit before the recent firmware upgrade! I did send a PM to a Mod, but still waiting on it being fixed.

Cheers

BT Full Fibre 900
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 723 of 1,263

Hi @NotJackieChan as you are getting 70Mb upload it is not the issue of the upload capped at 50Mb. Please call and speak with the FTTP team for help with your upload speed.

@Barneyabz, I've checked our queue and we have received your details. We are very busy at present and we'll be in touch as soon as we can to help you with this.

cheers

John

NotJackieChan
Beginner
Message 724 of 1,263

Hi @JohnC2 thanks for the reply.

70mbps was a typo - I meant to say 50mbps

NotJackieChan_0-1604321500249.png

Many thanks

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 725 of 1,263

Hi NotJackieChan, thanks for the update and I've sent you a Private message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you get the cap lifted.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
GezzaT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 726 of 1,263

UPDATE

Ok, apologies if I'm replying to the wrong thing here. 

Just wanted to ask the community to try something out, including @Ian_ 

I was frustrated by the seeming 70 Mbps cap on upload and contacted BT FTTP team in Exeter again (hello if you're reading this!)

They asked me to run some fast.com tests and at the same time (consecutively, not competing) I was running speedtest.net through the app. The difference between Ookla speedtest and fast.com got me thinking. I later tried with a load of the online tools and was getting some variability. Many couldn't handle the download at all, but the upload was hovering around 70. I tried multi/single threaded and couldn't get it to budge above ~80 except for fast.com which would fluctuate quite wildly test to test going from ~90 to as low as 40.

Someone had mentioned nperf so I tried that and lo and behold I am getting a fairly solid 920 down and 103 up on multiple different UK based servers.

I then used some traffic monitoring software (PeakHour4 on Mac) which has a bandwidth monitor and it was showing that the nperf numbers appear correct, but then so do the Ookla numbers - there is actually a difference in throughput for the different tests. I've tried to capture this, perhaps someone with more sophisticated network monitoring software can check it properly. The attached picture shows the Ookla test first (left on the graph) yielding 912/70 then the nperf test yielding 920/102. It's hard to make out, but the blue upload line for the second test is higher than the first, so it seems like this might be a test issue rather than simply a BT issue. Ookla seems to genuinely be uploading at around 70 while nperf is reaching the 100+. I don't know why this would be as using Ookla at work I  can get uploads of 250+ to the same servers. Maybe there is something in that to do with BT...

I don't work for nperf or know anything about it - if someone thinks it malware/shady please let me know, but I'd be interested to see if people with apparent upload throttling (not to do with the SH2 firmware issue) can try nperf and report back whether it produces different results to Ookla speedtest.net and fast.com, and whether it is actually coming in closer to their BT prescribed speed...

PeakHour4 Grab showing Ookla (left) and nperf (right)PeakHour4 Grab showing Ookla (left) and nperf (right)

0 Ratings
GezzaT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 727 of 1,263

Turned up the smoothing on the curve display to get a better 'rolling average' and repeated the experiment this morning: this time nperf is run first (left of graph) and then Ookla Speedtest through the app. There is clearly a similar rate achieved on download and a lower upload achieved by speedtest.net app. The actual results provided by the tools were: 

nperf: 920/96

speedtest: 903/73

Again, if anyone has any insights into this it would be great. I'm expecting a call back from the FTTP Tech team in Exeter so will make them aware, but it could simply be that my apparent slow upload results come from the combination of BT/server rather than a global issue with my service. I'm going to do the same test with some actual data uploaded to my work server to see what the real world performance is rather than an artificial speed test, although I'm aware there will be potential pinch points in the chain there so will only post if truly informative.

In the meantime, if anyone can please try a similar ookla/fast.com/nperf comparison to see if it isn't just me I'd be grateful. If nperf are legit, it might be worthwhile BT changing to use them for speed testing as opposed to Ookla or fast.com

Slightly easier to see rolling average - nperf left and ookla right showing genuinely lower upload for OoklaSlightly easier to see rolling average - nperf left and ookla right showing genuinely lower upload for Ookla

0 Ratings
bp1000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 728 of 1,263

Fast always over reported the speeds for me 

multi threading on ookla and I always get a solid 930/110 

If you are seeing lower then it is perhaps congestion, routing, other network users, os settings or firmware 

3285816431723833-UUaVk4Rc

nperf browser plugin is horribly optimised for safari. Only works correctly with chrome. 

fast.png

Ian_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 729 of 1,263

@GezzaT1010  Fast always under-reports for me.

Speedtest.net is very dependant on the sever you select, find your nearest one that gives you good results and stick with that as not all the servers listed have the bandwidth available to saturate our 900mb connections.

As @bp1000  mentions, nperf is horrible in safari, and not much better in Chrome for me.

@bp1000 your numbers are identical to mine, 928mb down 109mb up but with a 4ms ping.

this has got me wondering...

Is there anyone out there getting a 900+mb download with an upload above 109mb?

Im starting to think that BT are throttling us at 109mb upload rather than giving us the 120mb promised! 

Havo987
Aspiring Contributor
Message 730 of 1,263

I thought normal uploads were 110 Mbps,  so 109 Mbps is pretty good.

Or am I wrong ?

0 Ratings