cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garethlevans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1371 of 1,489

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart HubWa 2 upload throttling

That all being said,  I do think these routers cache just like most browsers. if you clear your cache and redo the test on the RT-AX88U OR simply log out and log in, or change the test server in the RT-AX88U UI, the first test always comes to about 560Mbps. Then subsequent tests get around 900Mbps+ until such time you perform the previous task.

Similarly, i have yet to get a result +500Mbps on speedtest.net (both wired and wireless). It always is around the 450/500Mbps. On FAST.com i have varying speeds that fluctuate considerably throughout each test. Typically they always seem to finish at around 600Mbps - 900Mbps, but they fluctuate throughout the test considerably (400Mbps-900Mbps) - Again, both wires and wireless. This suggests that there is inconsistency between test sites.

Which one is the most accurate and how honest is now a problem to argue against BT with. Of course they will always go with the highest (which in my case would be FAST.com).

@busterboy1 - What are are your browser cleared cache wired and wireless speeds on both Speedtest.net and FAST.com? Also if you log out of your RT-AX88U UI, clear browser, log back in, what is your first UI result?

Also, if I download files from trusted highly regarded bandwidth sites,  I get around 35-50MB/sec, which is typically equivalent to around 280-400Mbps. In reality for a 900Mbps connection, one would expect around 112MB/sec. Modern day local SSD's should be able to sustain this amount of write bandwidth (or worse case much more than 35MB/sec. I don't anticipate getting 112MB/sec consistently but it should be higher than that what I am getting, plus these speeds are consistent results to that of Speedtest.net / cleared cache test results.

Therefore I do still think I have an issue, even with the RT-AX88U, or BT are misrepresenting speeds. My BT advised line is 910/110 with a Stay Fast Guarantee of 700Mbps.

Speedtest.net tests are tested against a variety of different locations most nearest to me. Ping latency is typically around 6ms - 12ms.

Note: All respected tests are either:

Wired connections using CAT6 directly attached to the RT-AX88U

Or

Wireless is direct line of site using 802.11AX devices over WIFI6 at about 3mtr distance.

Either way, both are capable of delivering a lot higher than advertised.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 1372 of 1,489

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart HubWa 2 upload throttling

BT Wifi has nothing to do with the upload cap. Once your installation is done, leave the hub connected. No restarts, no resets. In a day or two the new profile will be automatically pushed to your hub that will lift the upload cap. Also the package that BT sells is not giving you symmetrical upload/download bandwidth. It's a 900/110Mbps package. The router shows 1000/1000 as it's connected to the ONT through the ethernet port. However it has nothing to do with the bandwidth you are receiving.
davemul1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1373 of 1,489

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart Hub 2 upload throttling

My hub appears to have auto removed the cap. I’m now at my 100 upload. Prob took 3 days of just leaving it alone 

alexjm1
Beginner
Message 1374 of 1,489

@NeilO 

Hi Neil,

Please could you help me with this? 

Thanks 

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Neil,

Could you help me with this same problem too?

On activation of my line (c. 24 months ago), my upload speeds were typically over 100Mbps, but are now consistently throttled at 10Mbps.

Several times I have done a factory reset of the SmartHub 2 router and upload speed instantly increases to c. 50Mbps. However, the speed then reverts to 10Mbps within c. 2 days. 

Download speeds are in line with my package.

I am running the latest Firmware version on the router:

alexjm1_0-1645615518971.png

The standard help-desk were not able to fix the problem.

Thanks 

Alex 

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 1375 of 1,489

Hi @alexjm1, welcome to the forum and we'll be happy to help you fix this.

I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
alexjm1
Beginner
Message 1376 of 1,489

@JohnC2 

Thanks John. I have just replied to the Private Message.

Alex

0 Ratings
davemul1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1377 of 1,489

Anyone that’s reset their hub just leave it for a few days…. 

Mine after 3 days 

DavidM
Message 1378 of 1,489

That's very sound advice @davemul1 . I fully agree with that. Leaving things to settle down for a few days won't do any harm and in many cases it will sort itself out.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
shoep11
Beginner
Message 1379 of 1,489

Have you solved the issue????
What you experience is completely the same as I have now! 

I upgraded the plan from 500 to 900 
But my download speed is stuck in around 500. 

I am very disappointed with the premium service,,, I have been troubleshooting 

engineer visited last time but did nothing with that.,,, 

0 Ratings
Loutiffwilson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1380 of 1,489

The solution is to factory reset the router x amount of times - maybe 5-8 times and the speeds should rectify themselves , if they don’t , leave the router attached and working for a few days and the correct profile will be pushed. 👍👍
0 Ratings