Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Elisabeth73
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Fibre Broadband not working

Wish I'd investigated a bit more before I went to upgrade to fibre.  I am now waiting for an engineer to come to fix my disconnected phone.  I was pursuaded to take out the upgrade as I was struggling to access some sites after an update on my work pc which was due to a work software update.  I was told that an updated hub would be the best option and that I should upgrade to fibre BIG MISTAKE.  I was then told it would be active on Friday.  I got an e-mail at 14:12 saying that all was good and I expected it to be working when I got home.  What an idiot I was.  When I got home my phone said check line and I had no dial tone.  I then called BT and spoke to an individual who as someone else on here has said didn't seem to take things seriously (I was on the phone for about 30 minutes).  And all they could say was sorry but not offer any solutions.  When I asked when it would be resolved they said that they wouldn't be able to follow up until they were back in work on Tuesday.  Not helpful.  This was at about15:15.  I had to go  out for a while and as I had heard nothing I called BT again at about 17:30.   This person was a little more helpful and booked an engineer for Monday.  I stressed the fact that it had all been working when I left for work at 8am and I can't understand how they could disconnect the phone.  My family has used BT for services for around 50 years and we have been with them since 2010 for broadband, I took over the contract in 2015 when my mother died.  I can't believe how little customer loyalty is valued these days.  I asked the agent I was dealing with several times if I would have to pay for the engineer to come out and he said that as nothing had come up on his screen then I wouldn't have to pay.  To be honest I didn't beleive him and I was right - I now have had a text this morning saying that the fault is in my house and I could have to pay £85 to get this fixed.  I am really frustrated and annoyed with this as I haven't done anything to the line in the house, which is what is implied by the text. As I needed to access the internet I have now got a mobile broadband sim which is with 3 and I had to pay £40 for something I should have automatically with BT.   Although I have a complaint logged (which is now closed) so whenever I do get my line fixed and maybe get broadband back I can see if you will give me money back.  Some how I doubt that will happen as I am sure this will be made out to be my fault.  I am currently a very unhappy BT customer.

I have carried out the checks suggested on the wireing video (exactly how you would expect someone with NO BROADBAND to manage that I've NO IDEA - good job I've paid for the mobile broadband with a different company) and have absoultely no dial tone dispite checking with 3 different phones.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Fibre Broadband not working

there is nothing you can do but wait for engineer on monday but should engineer not turn up then post back and we can see if forum mods can help

as new fibre connect I would not expect any charges for engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Although frustrating to be without phone/broadband, the chances are that when you were upgraded to FTTC ( fibre to the cabinet) the Openreach engineer has mistakingly disconnected your line , so it shouldn't be too complicated to reconnect you , (once the fault has been issued to Openreach to check)

This happening on a Friday is unfortunate, as the weekend isn't classed as working days, so if the commitment to fix is 3 working days ( if that's the commitment , it could be 2 working days) then that's possibly Wednesday before its fixed.
Asking you to check your own wiring etc. is standard practise , but it would be a big coincidence if your wiring developed issues at the same time the 'upgrade' took place, but still best to do the checks to be on the safe side, if the checks indicate the problem is external , then you don't really need to worry about 'charges'.
If  overall 99 out of 100 'upgrades' are successful and 1 in 100 fail, you have just been unlucky to be the one that failed.
As far as being compensated if you have paid for some sort of data add on with your mobile phone , it's unlikely you will be refunded for that , if the repair takes longer than the 2-3 days of the SLA ( service level agreement ) then you should get compensated for that, but ,  if the fault is already raised and OR are aware ,you may be 'lucky' and be repaired on Monday

Elisabeth73
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the reply.  We have checked the line as they suggested and it's dead - I've tried 3 different phones. 

So although they have text to say that the issue appears to be inside the house I am hoping what you have said in the first part is true.  I'm just not keen on the £85 fee.  I will have to live with the mobile data fee I realise that.  I've learnt that I should never have upgraded in the first place.  If it isn't broken then I shouldn't have tried to get ir "fixed".    Hoping that I am "lucky" and this will get fixed on Monday. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

If this is a new Fibre connection or an upgrade from ADSL to Fibre you will NOT be charge anything to resolve the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

0 Ratings