cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulJ1-ICM
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Fibre Plus FTTC - Speed issues ... Technical Help

I have BT Fibre Plus FTTC, I am 600m ish from the cabinet in a rural location, line comes up the main road approx 400m, the braches off down to my property.

For 18 Months broad band spped was happily ticking over at approx 45000kbps, then last autumn it dropped, to exactly 35000kbps...  now I dont believe in round numbers so i believe that is a artificial limit.. so i call BT fault people....  they find faults on the line, open reach attend they found earthing (?) termination issues, "fix" its, speed gors back up to mid 40's, but over a few weeks goes back to 35000kbps....  mm call faults again, find a fault, openreach come back, say it was an issue on the street pole, re terminate.... no change, still "noise" on the line, because the line feeds two lines, they said that wasnt good so they ran a new line from street pole to my house, at this time the openreach engineer said it was syncing at 48500kbps, and said you will loose a bit but you should be fine now.

Within 3 days it was back at 35000kbps.

What i dont understand is, there were faults, which BT said would have effected the sync speed, fixed them and there is no change.....

The speaking to BT they start quoting me "my minimim guaranteed speed is 30000kbps"  which rather p***ses me off, I have experienced a 25% drop in speed with no reason, and BT just say tough do do....

Over last days its dropped further to 32399kbps...  called BT today, again they are simple quoting minimum speed... arghhhhhhh

No other business can be allowed to give customers a 30% reduction and have no recourse.....   any help appreciated.

I use a Netgear router, but home hub is no different...  stats below...

I have a deadlock letter on my complaint so will write to ombudsman, will happily  move from BT but will it make a difference ????Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 22.14.56.png

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 21.22.07.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Fibre Plus FTTC - Speed issues ... Technical Help

Until the underlying line fault that is causing DLM to reduce your speed to maintain stability is fixed nothing will change. Changing provider will have no impact as you will still be using the same line with the same fault.

DLM is an automatic mechanism which tries to maintain a stable connection in the face of various types of line faults by reducing line speed.

Unfortunately, as BT say, your line speed is still above your guaranteed speed although it has deteriorated. I.e, BT's view is that you were previously getting better than you should have done, whereas your view is that you are getting worse than you had previously. Two sides of the same coin.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Is there any noise on your line when you carry out a quiet line test on 17070 using a corded phone at the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket? If there is, report it as a noisy line fault and don't mention broadband. Once the noise fault is fixed your speed will improve.

0 Ratings
PaulJ1-ICM
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Update.... well this week,the speed continued to drop, was 32.4 this week, BT were awful, summary of call "your getting aboved contracted minimum so **bleep** off"....    Well today, it dropped below 30000kbps  which is my contracted minimum.....    Then spent hours on calls trying to get them to do a speed test to confirm is below contarct minimum, 6 calls, kept getting cut off.... why dont they call you back ?????   

Outcome was "we can give you the option of cancelling your contract so you can go with another provider"... umm no because i'll have same issues with another provider, i want the obvious fault fixed....  sorry we cant book an engineer... why ?... there isnt a fault....FFS... eventually agree to book an enginner, earliest appointment wednesday...

What annoys me is they are so so quick to dismiss my concerns because its above a minimum, but as soon as it falls below that minimum they dont gove a toss....

Any tips on what i say to openreach engineer when they come ??

Screenshot 2019-03-30 at 19.42.00.png

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 6

Due to the problems you're having I think it's best getting a mod to take over and try to get you sorted.

I've asked one to drop in for you, it will be tomorrow now though.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @PaulJ1-ICM 

Thanks for your posts and welcome to the Community!

Sorry for the problems you're having with your broadband speed and that you were cut off trying to get this sorted out.  I can see that you have an engineer booked for Wednesday.  The engineer will check and make sure you're getting the best speed possible on your line.  If it turns out that we aren't able to give you the minimum speed you would have the option to leave your contract without term charges.

Please keep us posted with how things go with the engineer.  If you're still having problems we will be happy to pick things up for you at that stage.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings