cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

BT Fibre before Install Question

Hi all

It looks like my area is getting fibre as the cables are getting installed to the polls, the question is when bt fit the new fibre face plate and remove the old master socket is there an ethernet port on the face plate as i would of thought this is how you connect the fibre box to the router.

If this is true can i install a 15m cat6 patch cable from the master socket to the router before a new install and let the engineer know that i have done so to save time and have it all Ready just to plug in and go. I was also taking to someone and say if i am going to do this i might as well install a cat6 patch cable instead of a cat5e as it would be better for reducing any interference  

any help would be great

thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Fibre before Install Question

if you are getting FTTP then master socket is no longer used and openreach instal and ONT which you connect using ethernet to hubont-pon.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

If you are in a property built within the last 10 years or so, they may be conduit from the exterior service box at the property to the master socket.  If this is the case and the fibre can be fed through the conduit, then it may be possible to have the ONT placed over the back box previously used by the master socket.  If not, then a new hole will need drilling for the fibre leading to the ONT which indeed does have an ethernet port!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

so, it's an ethernet from the ONT to the router. My house is over 120 years old and it runs from a Pole, The BT engineer must remove the copper line and just replace it with a fibre and remove the master socket and replace it with a ONT socket.

If so i can run my own network cable to my router read for the engineer just to plug into it as i need a 15m network cable run from Point A to Point B.

Is it best to use a CAT6 cable or Just Cat5e as would CAT 6 be better for interference reduction from the ONT Plate? also read you need a power socket there as well.

All this i need to do before they install in the next couple of months when my area is ready as there laying and updating the poles now

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

The fibre cable will follow the existing copper to your home but the ONT does not have to be fitted in same position as existing master .  The engineer will fit a small box CSP at ground level and normally drill hole to let fibre cable in to your home and connect to ONT.  within reason you will be able to have the CSP fitted to suit you and need to discuss with fitter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

so they don't remove the master socket and copper cable? why would you still need them if your home phones are now IP based like mine where you connect them to the router

the master socket is on the 2nd level of our house in a bed room and would need to be fitted there 

what about the cat cable ? which is best suited

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

you would need to discuss with the installer where you prefer install but the CSP will need to be a ground level

ethernet cat5E or higher maybe cat6

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Thanks

but ground level would not work as all my lines and network are on the upper level and no need to enter the cable ground level as its impossible to bridge the router and cable from there so they would need to do it 2nd level on are house as that's where the master socket is and that's where my extension goes to the router.

unless they put the  CSP at ground level then run another cable up the side the house and back into the  the wall which seems a waste of cable 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

so where does the current copper cable attach to your home  -  just below roof at eves?  if so standard install is to follow copper then run cable down wall and connect CSP at ground  level.  it is possible to run cable from CSP back up wall  and then drill hole to let fibre in and fit ONT on inside

you would certainly need to discuss with installer

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

The csp is fitted at ground level for ease of access for splicing external to internal fibre cables.

0 Ratings