cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 40

BT Full Fibre 100 and Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Openreach has enabled the local FTTP for our street. The Openreach Broadband Engineer was very happy to clarify what is going to be installed in the house. The Openreach FTTP master socket is similar in size to the existing FTTC NTE5c Mk2 master socket, which is very good news. 

BT Full Fibre 100 broadband has been ordered and the BT Journey document says that BT Smart Hub 2 is to be included. However, there are BT Smart Hubs with higher numbers. 

Is BT Smart Hub 2 the most recent version for BT Full Fibre 100? 

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40

Re: BT Full Fibre 100 and Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

@crimsom wrote:

However, there are BT Smart Hubs with higher numbers. 

No there aren't

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 40

Go to solution

@crimsomwrote:

Openreach has enabled the local FTTP for our street. The Openreach Broadband Engineer was very happy to clarify what is going to be installed in the house. The Openreach FTTP master socket is similar in size to the existing FTTC NTE5c Mk2 master socket, which is very good news. There is no mater socket for FTTP, The ONT is larger than your existing FTTC NTE5c Mk2 master socket.

BT Full Fibre 100 broadband has been ordered and the BT Journey document says that BT Smart Hub 2 is to be included. However, there are BT Smart Hubs with higher numbers. 

Here's something you may get.fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 40

Go to solution

Hi @pippincp thank you for sharing image of an Openreach Optical Network Termination (ONT).  Openreach modem (ONT) explained: Ports and models available - BT Help and  A Look at Openreach's New Small FTTP Broadband ONT and Mini OLT - ISPreview UK  

Openreach visited today for the Fibre To The distribution point (FTTdp) Install Process 1 Stage of Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) Full Fibre cable to the house installation.  We selected the option of no installation of Customer Service Point (CSP) box, so the fibre-optic cable goes directly to the ONT. (New cable has fibre-optic and wire.) 

The ONT will be installed during FTTP install process 2 Stage.  Engineer showed me the ONT Huawei 1-port modem (your image).  This is does not work during power cuts to the house, so cannot be used to call emergency services. There was discussion about a two year transition period during which time the Openreach fibre-optic + wire combination is used for ONT & NTE5c, so that the phone continues to have a dialling tone. 

Different types of BT Hub | BT Help  BT Smart Hub, BT Smart Hub 2, BT Home Hub 3, BT Home Hub 4, BT Home Hub 5, BT Smart Hub 6, etc.  

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 40

Go to solution

@crimsom wrote:

Different types of BT Hub | BT Help  BT Smart Hub, BT Smart Hub 2, BT Home Hub 3, BT Home Hub 4, BT Home Hub 5, BT Smart Hub 6, etc.  

There is no Smart Hub 6, just Hub 6 (AKA Smart Hub) the Smart Hub series supersede the Home Hub series.

Message 6 of 40

Go to solution

With FTTP there is no FTTdp process, otherwise you would have copper from the FTTdp. You are getting FTTP and there will be a CSP located on the outside wall. The stage 1 installer is not responsible for the CSP which is why they possibly agreed with you that they wouldn't install one. They don't have or need them.

Good luck getting the stage 2 engineer to finish the job without a CSP. He has to have somewhere to terminate the EZ Bend cable.

Withdrawal of the copper phone service is happening now on an exchange by exchange basis and will cease in 2025 at the latest.

I look forward to hearing of your non-CSP install once the Stage 2 engineer has finished.

Message 7 of 40

Go to solution

Hi  @pippincp  thank you for sharing update. This is my update on what physically, actually occurred.  

The visiting Openreach broadband engineer told me (07/10/2021) that my local telegraph pole has been upgraded  to become a FTTdp. The overhead new full fibre cable was connected to the FTTdp and my old FTTC cable was removed. 

The engineer was happy for me to watch and thereby understand the 1 Stage process. The engineer confirmed that my local telegraph pole is now a FTTdp. The new full fibre cable has fibre-optic cable and wire cable, and the engineer demonstrated this new full fibre cable. The engineer showed me the new cable fibre-optic preinstalled plug termination which they then insert into the FTTdp box. The engineer went up the pole and at its top, checked the fibre-optic signal strength of the FTTdp box and reported that I have full strength 1 Gbps download availability - good news. The fibre optic cable was plugged into the FTTdp box. The engineer then striped and connected the wire cable to the FTTC box. 

At my invitation, the Openreach broadband engineer installed the new full fibre cable into the existing brickwork's 10mm hole, at the ground to first floor interface, having removed the old wire cable. Inside the house the wire cable (part of the new cable) was stripped and connected to the existing FTTC NTE5c Mk2 master socket. Dialling tone on my landline phone was confirmed. The fibre-optic cable (part of the new cable) is now in a coil awaiting 2 Stage installation.

The excess new cable is stored in the air gap between ground to first floor, 1 Stage installation of Customer Service Point (CSP) box was not installed by mutual agreement during engineer to Openreach phone call. The Openreach broadband engineer was satisfied that my 1 Stage installation is good, they might be assigned the 2 Stage installation - good news.  

I found the Wiki explanation of BT Smart Hub - Wikipedia and Smart Hub 2 (Home Hub 6DX) to be more informative than the earlier post. Evidently, this has more WiFi antennas than its predecessor, and a USB 3.0 rather than USB 2.0 port. It supports Wave 2 802.11ac WiFi, found on review to be 50% faster than non-Wave 2.  

I am now waiting for BT Smart Hub 2 to arrive and then completion of 2 Stage installation that is scheduled to occur in about 10 days from now.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 40

Go to solution

It is not FTTdp, that is the equivalent of FTTC where instead of the DSLAM is at the DP rather than the cabinet and the broadband is still delivered by copper rather than fibre to the house.

What you have is an optical feed delivered from a CBT (connectorised block terminal) which is the fibre equivalent of a copper DP entirely different to FTTdp.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 40

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice  thank you for sharing your opinion.  As of Monday 4 October 2021, both the visiting Openreach broadband engineer and myself are both of the opinion that the recent telegraph pole upgrade has the new FTTdp fibre-optic cable box in addition to the existing FTTC wire cable box. The Openreach full fibre cable is connected to both cable boxes. We do not accept your false opinion. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 40

Go to solution

Accept what you like, it is fact not opinion. The clue is in the name FTTdp (fibre to the dp) which is where the fibre ceases and becomes copper. You are getting FTTP (fibre to the premises) where the fibre extends to your house. It is being fed from a CBT (connectorised block terminal) which both of you are mistakenly calling FTTdp.

Couldn't be bothered to look further for a better diagram, notice copper from FTTdp node to house.

deployment-types.png

0 Ratings