cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 40

Re: BT Full Fibre 100 and Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

You cannot have FTTP and FTTC no matter what you have been told. Take that up with sales if you want to persue a thankless excercise.

If , as you have previously said you've had the first stage FTTP install then once completed you will not be allowed to revert to FTTC. Openreach not BT will not allow it.

Be prepared for your copper telephone line to be ceased by 2025 at the latest, if your exchange area exceeds 75% FTTP it will happen earlier no matter what you have been told. Believe me I know, I have more access to the Openreach portal than the mods here do or anyone else.

Don't believe me? Then let the mods and the other forum Gurus tell you.

I know of no FTTP install throughout the country that doesn't have a CSP execept you. You must be special or rather exceptual.

I assume you came here for information but have consitantly ignored, discounted, argued against everything you've been advised of by not just me but every other knowledgeable members.

I wonder if @Starwire wants to get involved in this? I doubt it.

Good luck on your special install.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 40

Go to solution

Hi @pippincp thank you for sharing.

Openreach have completed 1st Stage installation, which included entering my house and connecting the copper wire cable (part of full fibre cable) to my existing FTTC NTE5c Mk2 master socket. Openreach are at liberty to have a different 1st Stage install process, that is compliant with the overall technical requirements. 

This BT customer has no overall oversight of all the other Openreach 1st Stage installations. My 1st Stage installation has been declared by Openreach engineer to be good. I am very happy with my 1st Stage installation. 

BT Technical Support processed my order, not BT Sales.  The BT Journey document says I will have full fibre cable connection to ONT modem and NTE5c Mk2 master socket. This is different to what you are posting. 

My BT community post was created to get a better understanding of my BT Full Fibre 100 and Smart Hub 2 order. I did not anticipate some members having a rigid perspective and being unwilling to accommodate change. 

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 40

Go to solution

FTTP installations CAN go ahead without external CSPs being fitted. However, the engineer finishing your install may install an internal CSP. They may however simply splice on a field fit connector and install no CSP at all. That's entirely possible and we are allowed to do it if the customer refuses a CSP point blank.

In terms of the the cable coming to your house, its what we call a hybrid cable. It has fibre cable and a single pair copper cable running side-by-side. Up the pole the fibre is connected to a CBT (not FTTdp) and the copper pair is connected in to your existing DP, which leads back to the cab. This ensures that, for now, your phone will be connected through the copper network.

Once the FTTP order is complete, your FTTC broadband will be ceased. You'll still be connected to the exchange via copper, but only for your dial tone. You'll not have FTTC broadband anymore. Also in the next few years, you will be swapped to digital voice.

Hope that helps. 

Message 34 of 40

Go to solution

@desh  I assume that you are a contractor rather than Openreach engineer otherwise you would know that Openreach no longer use field fit connectors due to the high failure rate.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 40

Go to solution

The advice I work off is that if it saves a customer cancellation, use a field fit. It's a very rare occasion and they're like hens teeth now, but I still have a few laying around. 

All I'm saying is that it's not impossible that this install is going ahead without a CSP. 

Message 36 of 40

Go to solution

I await the OP's report to see if he got any hen's teeth.

I am amazed that any experienced Openreach engineer would use a product discontinued by Openreach due to a high failure rate. I also wonder what would happen to you if (as expected) it failed and caused a recall to fit a CSP and EZ bend cable.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 40

Go to solution

I wouldn't wonder too much about what would happen me, I'll be fine either way. I've certainly never been informed that we can no longer under any circumstances use them. Maybe you've been informed different. 

Message 38 of 40

Go to solution

@crimsom wrote:

My BT community post was created to get a better understanding of my BT Full Fibre 100 and Smart Hub 2 order. I did not anticipate some members having a rigid perspective and being unwilling to accommodate change. 

No, your initial post was to make an erroneous statement regarding Smart Hub versions, which was corrected, and a question, which was answered accurately,  regarding the latest version of Smart Hub to be used with FTTP. Nothing more, nothing less.

Since then, your postings have made all sorts of erroneous statements which have been refuted but refused to be accepted. So rather than seeking to get a better understanding as you claim, you have just continued to post your incorrect view of the world and dispute everything anybody else has told you rather than learn.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 40

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice  thank you for sharing.  

I discovered that Smart Hub 2 is aka Home Hub 6DX.  Evidently, this has more WiFi antennas than its predecessor, and a USB 3.0 rather than USB 2.0 port. It supports Wave 2 802.11ac WiFi, found on review to be 50% faster than non-Wave 2.  So I eventually answered my own question. 

Hi @desh  thank you for participating. 

I am very happy with the Openreach 1st Stage installation that included overhead cable dropping down to enter the house at about three meters from external ground level, and connecting the copper wire cable (part of full fibre cable) to my existing FTTC NTE5c Mk2 master socket, at about 2.6 meters from ground floor level. There is more than one meter of additional free fibre optic cable for connection to the ONT modem. Which provides many opportunities to splice the fibre optic cable again, if required. 

The Openreach 1st Stage installation is excellent. 

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 40

Go to solution

Good afternoon everyone,

I hope you guys are having a good weekend.  

I'm popping along to let you know that, having reviewed this thread in its entirety, the discussion has been going round in circles for the last couple of pages.  Due to this, I have included a link below to Openreach's website that includes a brief understanding of the FTTP installation process.

Full fibre installation process - Openreach

@crimsom  It looks like your address is being fed overhead -  Therefore, you'll be connected throught a CBT (connectorised block terminal) from the pole.

Due to the fact the conversation has been going round in circles, there is no value keeping this thread open.  I have taken the decision to lock the thread.

All the best,

Robbie