cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Full Fibre 900 - getting 450 (wired) at best!!

So I found a few threads similar to mine but nothing exactly the same.

I have had Fibre 900 for about 6 months after upgrading from Fibre 300.  With 300 I got 330Mbps every time, so when BT offered 900Mbps for £10 more, I went for it.

However, I've never achieved faster than around 480 (once or twice) and normally get around 440-450, so literally on the price promise threshold.  Typically when I called up they made me do a speedtest on fast.com and it came back with 460.

It's frustrating as I feel I'm not getting my money's worth, I'm getting the absolute minimum speed on that tier.  Apparently they do a 500Mb service but I can't see that in my deals and to "downgrade" to 300Mb will cost me £65?????  (more than I'm paying now!!).  Have just spoke to support this morning and nothing they can do apparently, although I didn't push that hard.

Has anyone else been in s similar situation and got any money off or offered the 500MB package?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Full Fibre 900 - getting 450 (wired) at best!!

Several factors involved here.

1: What device / devices you are checking it on.

2: Are the network card drivers fully updated.

3: Have you tried setting up a PPPoE connection direct from PC to ONT

4: CAT5e or upwards cable not faulty, try a new cable.

5: WiFi has it's limits if unless you are using a WiFi 6 device.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi, I should have probably mentioned, BT confirmed the speed with their checks, there's nothing wrong with my equipment.

My Orbi Mesh Router has a speed tester built in, plus I did the one from the BT hub directly to BT.  I will however try the PPPoE connection direct from my laptop.  The cable is Cat6 and I wasn't using Wifi as I'm aware of the limitations, even with WiFi 6.  All drivers are up to date and I've tried 2 laptops and a desktop.

My issue is that I'm literally hovering on the speed promise threshold (sometimes it's below 450, sometimes it's just over (but rarely), so basically getting half of the advertised speed (from looking on here some people are getting very close to 900).  I guess what annoys me is that they told me that there is a 500MB tariff but it's not available to me...why not?  So I just have to suck it up and pay a premium price for a half premium service?

Don't get me wrong, the 450Mb download and 110Mb upload speeds I'm getting are amazing and I realise most of the UK get nowhere near that, but I would have stuck with 300 (where I was actually getting 330Mb all of the time) had I known I'd only be getting a 25-30% speed upgrade.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

How are you testing the speed, using which sites?

It's worth testing with https://fast.com - if you click the settings you can change the number of parallel connections - I'd suggest from 1 to 24, and change the test duration so it is between 10 and 45 seconds.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've tried everything and I'm also looking for a solution.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

I used fast.com as that's what BT support asked me to use.  Got the same result, even after changing the settings as advised, but thanks anyway.

But I'm not assuming there's a technical issue, they said if I'm far from the exchange / cabinet then my speed will be slower - although I didn't think distance affected FTTP that much?

My question is more about what have BT done for others where the service provided was nowhere near what was sold to you - has anyone on Full Fibre 900 been getting 450 or below (obviously wired with Gigabit ethernet), and if so did BT let you take advantage of the speed guarantee and downgrade to a cheaper tariff, more appropriate to what your line was capable of?

Right now the only options they're giving me are:

1. Stick with what you've got and keep paying £61 a month until my contract ends
  2. "Downgrade" to Full Fibre 300 and pay £65 a month (yes, more than what I'm currently paying)

I think a fair option would be to offer me Full Fibre 500 at something less than the £61 a month I'm currently paying.  At no point was it made clear that I wouldn't get anywhere near 900Mb, they should have been able to check what speed I could get when I signed up.  I wouldn't have paid £11 extra a month for an extra 100Mb.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I'm on the same boat... max DL speed I've seen was only 520. UL speed around 100-120. Connected 3 months by now. 

Not contacted BT yet but planning to do it soon. 

50% drop on speed cause of distance to exchange that would be even worse than on old ADSL connections...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Hi Klanbo

did you ever get this resolved? I’ve just upgraded from 500 to 900 and getting max 480 down, wired and wireless. BT tell me I’m getting 935 to the hub, yet I’m not achieving anywhere near that. The 500 package was rock solid but when I was offered the 900 for £5 more per month I took it. Seems like a bad choice right now. Any luck? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@jaforce23 

Forget Wireless for getting maximum speeds mate, Wired is where you should be looking.

Have you tried setting up a PPPoE connection dismissing the router for problems.

Probably try another laptop or similar because the bottleneck could be your computer.

If you are using the supplies Home Hub 2 you will never get near the speeds you are paying for.

Look at purchasing a decent third party router that has (AX) WiFi-6 for getting the best from your package.

I purchased an Asus RT-AX88U (expensive I know) but had maximum speeds and never dipped since I had FTTP installed.

FTTP 1st Test.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Untitled.jpg

 huh!? Some kind of bug? 

0 Ratings