cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Full Fibre and Home hub 2

I've ordered BT Full Fibre and just waiting on Openreach to come and do their stuff, including the cable to the house.

The have sent a cable and nothing else because I already have the Homehub 2, which is fine.

There is a small leaflet with the cable and it's states that Port 4 has to be available....I currently use all ports !!

Will the Openreach person have a solution for this, or will it be up to be to sort out ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Full Fibre and Home hub 2

It's up to you. Port4 needs to be changed to a WAN port by selecting full fibre mode.

Unmanaged Ethernet switches are very cheap, just connect one of the remaining 3 ports to the switch to give you extra Ethernet ports.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

To use full fiber you will need to connect the home hub 2 to the ONT using the WAN port 

If you need more Ethernet ports than you will need to use an Ethernet bus / splitter but that's on you not open reach to sort

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

As stated, the 4th port is required to plug into the ONT ( and the settings on the SH2 changed to full fibre mode ) , if there is something in the 4th port and 1-3 are already in use , you will need a small ‘device ’ to plug into Ethernet port 3 , and then plug the devices currently in 3 and 4   into that device 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Just to clarify, the small device is an “unmanaged ethernet switch”.  You don’t need anything fancy, like managed switches or POE.   You can get one on Amazon for under £25.

They come in 5 or 8 ports, personally I think the 8 port are better value for money.

You connect one port on the SH2 to one on the switch and the other 7 ports are then available for use.   I would avoid simple splitters.  They split (i.e. weaken) the signal.  A switch regenerates the signal giving full strength to all 7 ports.

Edit: And while I think about it, make sure it's gigabit rated.