cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 138

Re: BT G.INP?

Does anybody know if G.Inp will be permanently enabled or only invoked if required by DLM?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 138

As nobody here appears to know the answer to both of my questions, any chance of one of the mods finding out and reporting back? I'm sure there are quite a few interested parties who would like to know.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 23 of 138

Q1, You would have to contact the third party vendor.

Q2, Always on, DLM has no control over it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 138

Hmm, thinking about this further, there seems to be some contradictory statements. If G.Inp is not invoked by DLM, why is a DLM reset necessary to allow the ECI modem to download the firmware update (if indeed this is the case)? If G.Inp was permanently enabled, re-setting the DLM would still not allow the modem to connect as it would be immediately re-enabled. The only scenario that works is if DLM has been triggered and has thus invoked G.Inp which then prevents the modem connecting to download the firmware. A DLM reset would then allow a window of opportunity to download the firmware before  kicking in and triggering G.Inp. To further muddy the waters, G998.4 para 11.1.13 has a configurable parameter which allows for either forced activation regardless of capability of the units or preferred activation where it is only activated if supported. I would hope BT would have set this parameter to the latter rather than the former.

Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 138

It's reasonable to expect G.Inp to be controlled by DLM.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 138

Do the home hubs need the update or do they already support it?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 27 of 138

@GeekOfBroadband wrote:

Do the home hubs need the update or do they already support it?

Already support it.

Quote from Openreach.

"FTTC lines will automatically accept Retransmission policies. Those currently with non-Retransmission compliant modem firmware will be identified by management systems and updated, after which Retransmission will become available."

As it requires an update of the modem (if necessary) and as Openreach cannot enquire of nor update 3rd party equipment then my answer to Q1 stands.

As G.Inp relies on communication between modem and cab then I cannot see how DLM can have any involvement in the process.

Quote from Alcatel-Lucent.

"The G.inp standard specifies the use of physical layer retransmission to enhance INP. The approach is similar to the retransmission method used in TCP/IP. Instead of IP packets, however, data transfer units (DTU) are sent between transmitter and receiver. When packets get corrupted during transmission, the transmitting peer is informed and the DTU is resent."

How would DIM detect this transfer of information between DSLAM and CPE?

G.Inp supports DLM not DLM supports G.Inp.

Scource. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/bt-enables-physical-retransmission-g-inp-fttc-broadband...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 138

So how does the DLM reset allow the update of the firmware if G.Inp is permanently enabled?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 29 of 138

I never said a DLM reset was required, if I had I would have made the scource of that info available.

As I have said, G.Inp supports DLM and is independant of it as it addresses a totally different problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 138

Most of the comments in the article referred to appear to disagree.

0 Ratings