cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 51 of 138

Re: BT G.INP?

It's a retransmission technology that claims to be better than traditional interleaving+inp. It's an alternative to interleaving+inp not fastpath.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 52 of 138

I've only seen that touted in the media, it is not the case. Look at the article I posted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
onslow
Contributor
Message 53 of 138

@pippincp wrote:
What you are refering to is this comment. The poster even says he could be wrong!

"I’ve read (could be wrong) that an ECI modem with the old firmware will appear to be in sync (DSL light on) – but you can’t access the internet. The BT ‘fix’ is to perform a manual DLM reset to put things back to how they were and allow the firmware to download/update before reapplying the G.INP change."

Where did this 'knowledge' originally come from?   It only shows up on here as a second-hand quote, and on the kitz forum; and they make their own reality half the time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 54 of 138

@pippincp wrote:

I've only seen that touted in the media, it is not the case. Look at the article I posted.

From ISPR? lol

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 55 of 138

@onslow wrote:

@pippincp wrote:
What you are refering to is this comment. The poster even says he could be wrong!

"I’ve read (could be wrong) that an ECI modem with the old firmware will appear to be in sync (DSL light on) – but you can’t access the internet. The BT ‘fix’ is to perform a manual DLM reset to put things back to how they were and allow the firmware to download/update before reapplying the G.INP change."

Where did this 'knowledge' originally come from?   It only shows up on here as a second-hand quote, and on the kitz forum; and they make their own reality half the time.

Agreed.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 56 of 138

@ray_dorset wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

From ISPR? lol

But it actually quotes scources unlike other places.

0 Ratings
Valthos
Contributor
Message 57 of 138

well cab got updated 3 days ago after spending over 8 months on fastpath with a 76mb sync.

seems like ive got a speed boost back upto 80 full sync.

G IMP is live so its strange that ive been put on that since i was on fastpath with great low error stats. ping seems to be fine tho. maybe 2ms more if that.

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:	1
Last initialization procedure status:	0
Max:	Upstream rate = 29216 Kbps, Downstream rate = 80136 Kbps
Bearer:	0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 80000 Kbps
Bearer:	1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:	L0
Mode:			VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:		Profile 17a
TPS-TC:			PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:		U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:		No Defect
Training Status:	Showtime
		Down		Up
SNR (dB):	 6.0		 11.8
Attn(dB):	 14.5		 0.0
Pwr(dBm):	 13.5		 6.4
			VDSL2 framing
			Bearer 0

wounder why i was moved of fastpath. its strange how ive got a speed bump..

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 58 of 138

I feel it might be worth posting the link I posted before again :-

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp

Best regards,
dfenceman
Distinguished Guru
Message 59 of 138

After a quick skim I like that article. Thanks 😉
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 60 of 138

@pippincp wrote:

I see you've missed the point completely again.

"To further muddy the waters, G998.4 para 11.1.13 has a configurable parameter which allows for either forced activation regardless of capability of the units or preferred activation where it is only activated if supported"

That is a configurable parameter, it doesn't mean it's been configured that way.

Even if the activation was forced if the modem does not support it then the modem would reject it.

I imagine that Openreach will use the forced activation so that those modems that don't support it willl get the relevant update otherwise how can "Those currently with non-Retransmission compliant modem firmware will be identified by management systems and updated, after which Retransmission will become available" be idenitfied? Preferred activation would only happen on modems that support it.

So you still haven't identified or shown where a DLM reset must be performed.

When you eventually come out with some sensible proof for your assertion I may come back for further discussion but get you facts right first and some knowledge of what you want to discuss.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with this.

There is no evidence that implementation of G.Inp will necessitate a DLM reset, those BT or Openreach modems that do not support it will be automatically updated to do so. 3rd party modems may already support G.Inp but if not would need a firmware upgrade from the OEM.

Unless of course someone can prove otherwise...

If you read the whole thread you will discover that nowhere have I asserted that a DLM reset was required I actually questioned Ray's statement that it was. You have missed the point with the configurable parameter, I was asking which of the 2 (out of 4) configurations was likely to be implemented full quote was "To further muddy the waters, G998.4 para 11.1.13 has a configurable parameter which allows for either forced activation regardless of capability of the units or preferred activation where it is only activated if supported. I would hope BT would have set this parameter to the latter rather than the former." not the truncated version you have posted. If activation is forced and the modem doesn't support it, my understanding of G998.4 is that the modem will fail to initialise, not reject it.

As far as I can see the siuation is that there are 6 possible scenarios, viz:

Scenario 1

G.Inp is permanently enabled in forced mode.

Scenario 2(a)

G.Inp is enabled in forced mode and instigated by DLM but DLM has not been triggered.

Scenario 2(b)

G.Inp is enabled in forced mode and instigated by DLM and DLM has been triggered.

Scenario 3

G.Inp is permanently enabled in preferred mode.

Scenario 4(a)

G.Inp is enabled in preferred mode and instigated by DLM but DLM has not been triggered.

Scenario 4(b)

G.Inp is enabled in preferred mode and instigated by DLM and DLM has been triggered.

If we now assume that my assertion that an unsupported modem will not initialise when G.Inp is activated, we have the following behaviours when an unsupported modem is connected to line.

Scenario 1 cannot work as the modem will never connect and thus cannot be updated on line as BT state.

Scenario 2(a) allows the modem to connect and update.

Scenario 2(b) only allows the modem to connect and update if a DLM reset is performed.

Scenarios 3 and 4 allow the modem to connect and update regardless.

Edit: Having re-read the article linked by dfenceman, Scenario 3 appears to be the likely implementation.

0 Ratings