cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

BT Halo Fibre to the Home and High Latency

Hi Folks

I am not sure where I can go to get this issue fixed but the subject just about explains my issue. My boys have been complaining about lag in their online gaming and this is really affecting play. You can see by the in play stats that latency/jitter and sometimes packet loss is an issue. I have run ping plotter and can see very high latency as well as high jitter for peer2-xe8-0-2.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net.

Is there anywhere I can report this as the last time I tried to report a fault in regard to high ping responses before I had Halo was impossible through the normal channels.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Halo Fibre to the Home and High Latency

Can you post the pingplotter result?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Hi
Do you want a csv export? I can see a way to attach a file on here?

Thanks!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Do a screenshot and use the photo icon.

2021-03-17 17_22_11-Reply to Message - BT Community – Mozilla Firefox.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Ah yes I see now!

Here you go.

Thanks!Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

OK so a better screen capture!

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

OK, you are not going to like this but that shows 0 packet loss.

As I thought when you first posted you don't understand how to read a tracert. Not getting at you, there's a lot that don't.

When looking at tracert's or pingplotter results you start at the destination. If there is no packet loss there then anything inbetween is immaterial. How could the packets have got there if they were lost on the way?

The fact that one or more hops may show packet loss just means that the routers are doing what they are supposed to do and treating the forwarding of packets as a priority and not responding to ICMP requests or they are specifically configured not to.

Latency looks good too.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Yes I know that shows 0 packet loss and the packet loss was in a different sample but that appears to of cleared itself now.

So you think latency spiking at 300+ ms is good, it isn't so I'm not sure why you think it is?

This is also evident in the games that are reporting high latency and also packet loss. So are you saying they are wrong as well!?

When gaming you should be shooting for <30ms otherwise lag is evident in the game play. Granted the screen shot I provided you shows about 32ms but yesterday it was over 50ms which is not good. Also I dont see the huge spikes at any other hops so I would probably disagree with you on this. Something is not right. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Also I am not sure what you mean if packets were lost how would they of got there. Lost packets would result in the re transmission of that packet . Obviously this will cause issues with gaming if packets are lost and there are high re-transmissions rates. That specific sample like I said doesn't show any packet loss but I was just wondering what you meant?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Packets have not been lost, that's how they got there. Why would re-transimission be needed if no packet loss?

You now have the tool to show where any packet loss/latency occurs in real time.  There is no evidence of any problem at all. perhaps it;s a game server issue?

0 Ratings