cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caerphilly
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Home Hub 5 - Lots of Disconnections

It’s been a few weeks now of constant disconnections, most of the time the connection is unable to stay up for even an hour. The hub loses connection and cycles through orange, flashing orange until it finally sorts itself out.

A had this problem a few months back, the only solution was to run the hg612 modem and hh5 combination rather than the hh5 on its own.

For month this combination hg612 modem and hh5 worked great but over the past couple of weeks the disconnections are back with or without using the combination.

I’m very happy with the internet speeds and the Wi-Fi combined with a Wi-Fi EXT which I use for downstairs.

The only problem is the disconnections that happen, sometimes several drops per hour and seems to happen more at night. It’s been happening for weeks but it’s only now that I have free time hoping to get this problem solved.

I only have 1 BT socket in my home and that is the master socket, no other extensions. I have run tests using different ADSL wires; tried using different laptops, reset the hub, but the problem is still here.

I have pre-run speed tests:
All tests were carried out with a wired connection to the test socket on the master socket following these step by step instructions: https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21507/c/5106/

I followed these instructions before running the tests:
1. Computer is plugged into the broadband line to be tested.
2. Computer is directly connected to modem/router via an Ethernet Connection (i.e. not via a wireless or powerline adapters).
3. Any wireless adapter in computer is switched off.
4. Close any programs that may be running on computer. This includes any background programs such as anti-virus software, corporate VPNs, peer2peer clients etc. (Please ensure you re-enable any anti-virus software after you have finished testing).
5. Reboot modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. Wait for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.
6. Restart browser.
7. Ensure no other people or devices (e.g. broadband-connected TV set-top boxes) are using the broadband line to be tested.

I run this dsl checker  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and made sure to delete my phone number before posting the screen shot of the results below.

dsl checker.png

I run this speed tester http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and posted the screen shot of the results below including my IP profile for up and down.

speedtest.png

speedtest profile.png

Homehub 5 stats:
1. Product name:             BT Home Hub

1. Serial number: +068343+NQ52509486
  2. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.222.1.1 (Type A) Last updated 14/02/16
  3. Board version: BT Hub 5A
  4. DSL uptime: 0 days, 03:24:07
  5. Data rate: 7200 / 43946
  6. Maximum data rate: 8591 / 54106
  7. Noise margin: 7.3 / 9.9
  8. Line attenuation: 29.9 / 21.6
  9. Signal attenuation: 30.1 / 20.5
  10. Data sent/received: 33.2 MB / 1.5 GB
  11. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Forum help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to provide us much information as possible!

Thank you

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - Lots of Disconnections

when trying from test socket did you use a new filter?

you appear to be on infinity 2 but can only get infinity 1 speeds - have you tried downgrading, get same speed and save money

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Caerphilly
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hello imjolly, Thank you for replying to my thread. Forum help is always greatly appreciated.

Yes to question 1. I am running a new filter.

I've even checked to see if there could be anything within my home that might cause interference and been through the list from mobile chargers, TV, speakers, phone, lights etc. being to close in blocking its path. All seems clear!

I will contact BT and kindly ask for a downgrade. I am happy with the internet speeds, it’s plenty enough for our use. The only problem has been with the disconnections.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

is there any noise on quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  best with corded phone

to downgrade try options team who are uk based  0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings