cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
matburton
Beginner
Message 1 of 79

BT Home Hub 5 frequently disconnects (regret infinity so far)

I've not long had BT infinity, but I am outside of the initial period where my connection is intended to become stable.

However I frequently lose connection. It's random but can happen every few minutes or I can stay connected for an hour or two. On average when it starts disconnecting it seems to become more frequent, maybe every 10-15 minutes. Holding down the restart button the on the Home Hub 5 does seem to prevent the disconnect cycle for a while, but the router takes minutes to restart, and it's not a permenant solution.

When a disconnect occurs the connection drops for maybe 20-30 seconds, which is too short for a router crash & restart but long enough for Skype/Hangouts/Netflix/iPlayer etc to disconnect, and it's fatal for gaming. My TV and computer are connected via ethernet to the Hub Home 5 and are affected. Devices connected via wireless are also affected. Neither the ethernet or wireless becomes unavailable during a disconnect it seems. I've not seen the blue light on the front of the Home Hub change from blue to anything else, but I may not have looked at the right time (it's not in a very visible position)

I have tried turning off all the options in present on the Home Hub 5 that I don't need (I don't use port forwarding, uPNP, DMZ, firewall etc)

I am in contact with BT support, but given my experince with their very poor ability to provide even basic assistance up-to this point I don't hold out much hope. (It took me 2 phone calls totaling just over an 40 minutes for them to correct my delivery address)

I should maybe mention that I had ADSL previously through EE (BT wholesale) and the connection was slower but very stable. Hence BT infinity has been akin to an expensive down-grade for me 😞 Nothing else about my set-up has changed since then except swapping to infinity.

What are my options?

Is there any way I can diagnose the problem further myself?

Is the Home Hub 5 simply sub-par and this isn't unusual, should I be looking to replace it?

0 Ratings
78 REPLIES 78
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 79

Re: BT Home Hub 5 frequently disconnects (regret infinity so far)

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
matburton
Beginner
Message 3 of 79

Hey Ray,

Thanks for your help.

Here's lines 1-13

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ43024238
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 01:27:05
6. Data rate:8589 / 30588
7. Maximum data rate:8708 / 36399
8. Noise margin:6.7 / 6.8
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 26.1
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 23.6
11. Data sent/received:238.5 MB / 2.3 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes

My uptime is 1:27, but I'd like to state that's unusually high 😉 normally the connection time under Advanced Settings -> Internet -> Connection time (which I assume is the same) is well under an hour.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 79

I suggest you try a factory reset of the hub
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
scott_johnston
Contributor
Message 5 of 79

the connection time in advanced settings/broadband/internet below your TCP/IP settings i think is the PPP session and the connection tab show how long you have been connected to the cabinet

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 79

Someone else reporting a similar issue https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Bt-Infinity-2-Internet-Disconnection/m-p/14...
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
matburton
Beginner
Message 7 of 79

OK thanks for your help Ray.

I'll do that now and report back tomorrow.

0 Ratings
cleric42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 79

I've had a similar problem for a month now, Disconnects every 10 minutes - to several hours apart, only ever down for 20 seconds. I've ran BT three times, and only now they say I have a line fault which is supposed to be fixed by Wednesday. 

0 Ratings
matburton
Beginner
Message 9 of 79

BT called me back and have said they're reconfiguring my Home Hub remotly

I'm not convinced they actually know what the problem is, but I'll wait and see if that fixes it

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 10 of 79

If BT tests show no line fault then.....

IT does sound like the dreaded HH5 disconnection issues -

There is a long thread here about just one of the software(?) issues

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/OpenRG-Strikes-Back/td-p/1186400/page/14

The easy option is to use a non-bt  with "all in one" with similar high end feature such as Fritzbox or Draytek but their serious pennies. :eek:

Or use an openreach modem and the HH5 as just a router.

{Downside Extra plug socked is need but everything "just works"  including the tv-box thingy}

The HH5 was disconnecting itself every day with openrg reboots ect which caused the FTTC dynamic line management (dlm) to think the line was faultly when it was not. 

Replaced the HH5 with a openreach modem after the other posters recommended it and the disconnects stopped.{The connection has been great since}

BT know but dont expect a fix anytime soon as BT say there is no issue with the HH5. 😞

0 Ratings