cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ad44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 79

Re: BT Home Hub 5 frequently disconnects (regret infinity so far)

Ian : I called the standard 0800 number they put me straight through.  Reading other posts not confident it'll sort the problem though. 

@ AJ Ward : I googled this Huawei modem earlier is it just a matter of replacing the existing home hub with this unit ? are you ok plugging the youview box into the back as well ? (apologies for 20 questions i'd like to get it sorted for Christmas !)

0 Ratings
AJWard
Contributor
Message 52 of 79

I use the OR modem as it designed. It's just a modem.

You can then plug the HH5 in and use it as a Router only - or use any other Router.

I use an Apple Airport Extreme at home.

0 Ratings
Ian202
Contributor
Message 53 of 79

Just spent 35 minutes talking to BT India - according to them there is no problem, with my connection. All they can suggest is see if I have the same problem with a hardwired laptop and they will call back tomorrow, and then maybe they will be able to arrange for the hub to be replaced

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bonnyrigger
Contributor
Message 54 of 79

Just to give some hope to all on this thread - I had exactly the same errors and log messages about 2 months ago, engineer attended and fixed - said it was a fault at the cabinet, I use a HH5.

One other thing with the HH5 is the 2.4GHz wireless periodically (about once a week) gets completely stuffed up, devices unable to access internet etc - if you connect to the hub via the 5Ghz nework and disable and then re-enable the 2.4Ghz this fixes it - unrelated I know but works for me.

0 Ratings
Arronleeds
Aspiring Expert
Message 55 of 79

All you need to do is buy an openreach modem and plug the hub5 into the wan port, it's that simple rather than messing about on the phone with bt. you will likely find a new one won't be any different I had 3 in the space of 2 weeks from them and they all did the same thing unless being plugged into a modem. I ended up getting rid of the hub5 all together the wireless is poor.
0 Ratings
Ian202
Contributor
Message 56 of 79

Arron

I'd come to that conclusion, where is best place to get one?

0 Ratings
BigStu09
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 79

Hi all, for those of yous who's connection keeps dropping - mine was doing the same but was caused due to it being plugged into a telephone extension and not in to the master socket. Since plugging into master socket connection has never dropped, over four days now. Still had no improvement in speed yet but this will be due to DLM Profile, I am trying to get BT to reset this but don't hold out much hope.

0 Ratings
matburton
Beginner
Message 58 of 79

Hey BigStu09, thanks for the suggestion

Sadly at least in my case the Home Hub is wired straight into the master socket
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 59 of 79

I have both the hg612 3b & the eci/r openreach modems {After Ray's advice earlier in the year }

On Both its  just a mater of plugging the ethernet cable from the openreach modem to the red wan port on the hh5 ( or any other compatable router - even my old linksys works great).

The openreach modem handles the vdsl line connection and the hh5 becomes the just router.  

That way ,(as Ray highlights), the hh5 is not able to disconnect the vdsl connection as the openreach modem prevents it. 

Also with it being "bt"  - everything "just works" even the tv box thingy or what ever its called these days.

Downside is - you need an extra plug socket  for the openreach modem and there is a bit more "spaghetti" with the extra wires.

Do find the ECI/r the better of the two. Not by much,a few meg here & there .{That maybe just be  due to the fact I'm on an ECI fibre box.}

0 Ratings
Arronleeds
Aspiring Expert
Message 60 of 79

Ebay is the best bet Ian 🙂 I've noticed eci modems to be better I tried using an hg612 on my mums Sky fibre and it made her latency go all over it was always sub 300 and that was on a Huawei cabinet so I put her eci back In, I have a hg612 atm at my girlfriends and it's better for some reason but a lot of error rates. Also apparently bt have been forced to turn DLM off so I wonder if it will make everyones profiles stuck. I hope not as I have 8ms of delay on and I want it gone.
0 Ratings