cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GretaLewd
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

BT Home Hub 5 - how far from master socket can it be placed?

Hi, 

I'm having BT infinity installed next week and I want the Home Hub 5 in my living room,  which will require about 15 m cable run from the master socket. Is this possible? (I don't want to move the master socket itself).

The BT help on this is outdated and only mentions the possibility of (up to 30m) data extension cables between modem and hub - but there is no separate modem in this case.

So,  can the HH5 be located some distance from the master socket?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - how far from master socket can it be placed?

Yes it can be moved. As far as I am aware it is only a normal telephone extension cable that you will need to use. It might give a bit of speed loss but over that distance it should not be much. You could ask the engineer if he could move the master socket. An Openreach engineer will usually do this no problem but you might be met with a refusal if you have a contractor doing the install.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 19

The 30m data extension will still apply for the hub 5 as it was an extension between the socket and the modem. If you want any longer than that it will just depend on the engineer.

0 Ratings
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

The data extension they use is just CAT5 cable - which is of a higher quality than general telephone extension cable.

Be aware that the OR Engineer will only clip the cable to skirting etc - not drill walls or run externally.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 19

They will drill walls and they will run external. They arent kitted with drills and external cat5 for nothing...

JeffBo
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

I do hope you are correct. My master socket is under the stairs and my current Homehub 3 situated in the back bedroom is connected by an  internal tel extension cable routed into the loft and though the walls into a wall mounted socket.

With the upgrade to infinity this week, I still want the hub to be upstairs - and assume that the connection needs to be cat 5/6

I was planning to have this cable routed through an external wall into the garage and then outside to come back into the rear bedroom - simple.

Just rung India and they say the engineer will only 'istall the hub' next to the existing master socket !!  --- **bleep** !

Any experience anyone

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

JeffBo wrote:

Any experience anyone

My personal experience was fine given that the install was very simple, but the engineer (fitter?) was clearly focused on getting away asap and I wonder what the experience would have been if any real work was necessary. He was a contractor, and I'd say that gg's warning in Message 2 above is apposite. Other accounts posted here indicate that if you need more than a box opened, 2 screws screwed and a few plugs plugged there can be problems if you don't get an Openreach engineer. Don't bother trying to order one though, it's pot luck.Smiley Sad

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
mathewjg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

I moved my home hub so that its more in the middle of the house. I used Cat 6 cable but cant say that it gives any improvement over cat 5 but at least its future proof for now and there is not much difference in price. Buy online for the best deals - the big retail electronics shops can be 2 or 3 times the online price.
Highlighted
iainleonard
Message 9 of 19

I was in almost the same situation, with my master socket in the corner of the main bedroom but wanting the hub in the lounge, central to the property. Was told that this would be fine as the hub can be run 30m from the socket...

Infinity was then installed last week however it wasn't an Openreach or BT engineer that called but a sub-contractor.

He only seemed interested in getting in and out as quickly as possible, refused to put my hub in the lounge as he apparently had no cable so connected it directly to the main socket in the bedroom with a 2m lead and left!! I am now unable to use my TV package without purchasing additional equipment or hardwire to my PC directly only connect via wifi.

I spoke to BT at the time who said that they could send me a 10m lead (which would have been long enough) but instead sent out a 2m ethernet patch cable that I didnt want and dont need!!

Tried calling again and nobody seems to understand what I'm talking about!!

0 Ratings
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

@ iainleonard

Sounds like Cable confusion.

Fora  telephone only extension you can run on pretty thin unshielded wires or 'bell cable' bought for peanuts at any good hardware store - these have the BT proprietry plugs (the ones at the end of your phone cable that plug a phone into a socket).

For international standarsation the BT mastersocket has a BT Plug (to keep phone users happy) - and a small squarish RJ11 socket for your broadband. While you can get phone extensions with what we call an RJ11 M/M (male to male) connector it is advisable for anything carrying data in the house that you should use something that has a bit of noise protection (shielding).

Engineers should have fitted the appropriate length of CAT5e (a shielded cable thats used for network cables too) - with RJ11 M/M connectors to extend the reach from the master socket to the position you want the Hub in.

So you want them to give you a 10m CAT5e with M/M RJ11 plugs...so you can move the hub to where you wanted it.

Or better still come back and do the job properly Smiley Happy << a complaint is in order to Openreach << they have a complaints about installations section online.