Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deets55
Contributor
Message 1 of 39

BT Home Hub 5 with BT Infinity 2 - Rebooting

Hi

Is anyone else having problems with their BT Home Hub 5 at the moment?  Since earlier this year my BT Home Hub 5 has been rebooting several times during the day for no apparent reason.  Initially I thought this was only during initial PC start-up in the morning and during PC restarts during the day, but this can also happen when the PC is switched off.  The hub connects to my PC via cable, but my wife and I use Android Smartphones and Android Tablet PCs which connect via WIFI.  We first notice disconnection of WIFI appliances and then the Hub lights start flashing green, orange and blue before reconnecting after a while.  I have performed numerous factory resets of the hub, disconnected and reconnected all the leads (power/telephone line/LAN cable to PC) as well as numerous hub restarts, etc but the problems still persist.  I reported problem to BT back in February 2015 and was issued with a replacement Hub which appeared to be OK at first.  However, the problem is back and I reported this to BT again last week and after various line tests, BT sent me another replacement Hub but this also reboots itself numerous times per day, again for no apparent reason.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: BT Home Hub 5 with BT Infinity 2 - Rebooting

if that is the 3rd hub doing the same thing then either you have been very unlucky with the hubs or that is not the problem and now need to consider steup and you line connection

can you go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

try quiet line tets  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Deets55
Contributor
Message 3 of 39

1. Product Name: HomeHub5

2. Serial number: +076284+1449003160

3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]

4. Board version: 01

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 05:19:21

6. Data Rate: 19999 / 79999

7. Maximum Data Rate: 28912 / 92827

8. Noise Margin: 15.1 / 8.4

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 14.0

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

11. Data sent/received: 176.1 MB / 1.7 GB

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
Deets55
Contributor
Message 4 of 39

BT Infinity 2.JPG

0 Ratings
Deets55
Contributor
Message 5 of 39

@imjollyDone actions as suggested and posted results as requested.  Also dialled 17070 for quiet line test (option 2).  Line was quiet.

0 Ratings
Deets55
Contributor
Message 6 of 39

Also done BT Wholesale Speed Test with abysmal results:

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 32.15 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 3.81 Mbps

Not sure of the significance of the following footnote after the test results:

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 39

your stats show you have max connection for infinity 2.  if your router has been resetting the number of times you describe then it is unusual for your noise margin not to be a lot higher and your speed lower as that would be the normal action of the DLM to try and stop the drops in conenction

at present you have 5+ hrs conenction so monitor and see how long it stays conencted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
everon
Contributor
Message 8 of 39

Yep, I just got a new homehub 5B last week and it was nothing but a nightmare.

My post is here if you would like to compare: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/New-homehub-problems-help-needed/m-p/150508...

Basically it just reboots to a steady yellow light for 50 seconds or so and then reconnects back to blue whenever the hell it feels like it needs a tea break. I am sure BT are aware of this issue as the rebooting problem with 5's A and B have been a problem for nearly a year.

I resolved mine by reconnecting the Openreach echolife HG612 and just using the hub5 as a router instead of using the inbuilt modem of the hub 5. Just like that magically all the rebooting stopped and it has not rebooted in around 4 days now.

Basically the Homehub 5 while using the inbuilt modem is not fit for purpose and BT know it but continue to throw the hubs at unsuspecting customers in my opinion. 

0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 9 of 39

Actually I was just about to put a new thread up until I saw this one. Mine has been rebooting every day now since the new 204.1.11 update rolled in, it was fine before the update and now its gone to bits!. Mine is the original Home Hub 5A is there anything that can be done to stop it apart from putting the openreach box back on cause my connection is faster without the box. Maybe someone can tell me I have a HH4, HH3 as well as the HH5 for backups, which is better with the openreach box for speeds?

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 39

MBR123, I just read your signature. If you are seeing a "pink" star to the left I think you need to calibrate your monitor Smiley Wink

0 Ratings