Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
davidmbaker
Message 1 of 6

BT Home Hub keeps resetting and displaying red broadband icon

Hi,

We are currently experiencing problems with our BT Home Hub. I believe it is a version 2 home hub. (It is curved, stands upright and has coloured lights along the front right hand edge. Then on the right hand side it has various buttons to reset the hub, connect a handset, etc... There is also a seperate white modem.)

Periodically the hub is resetting itself (seemingly for no reason). It is then often coming back up showing the broadband as red. To solve this I seem to need to disconnect both the modem and home hub from their power supplies and then reconnect them. Strangelly I then seem to have to plug in a 3g broadband dongle in my laptop before the broadband reconnects. (Though I suspect it may have something to do with having to turn off the wifi on this laptop to get said dongle to work.) Once the broadband goes back blue though I can turn back on the wifi and connect fine untill it randomly restarts again. (This message is getting sent with the laptop I'm referring to above.)

The situation does seem to have improved a bit since I disconnected our phones and just left the broadband lead in place. I've since moved the main base station downstairs to near the master socket and the stability seems now to be the same as when no phone is connected. We are still getting random restarts though.

If anyone has any suggestions to areas for me to investigate I'd be glad to here them. I fairly tech. savvy when it comes to computers. (I'm the one people run to if they don't feel they need to get RM when there are computer issues at the school I work at.)

Thanks in advance for your help and support. Best wishes, David. 😄

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Home Hub keeps resetting and displaying red broadband icon

There are known issues with the home hub 2, especially the power supply, which may be the cause.

Reported problems with the Home Hub 2

0 Ratings
davidmbaker
Message 3 of 6

I was at a carboot today and found a brand new HomeHub 2.0b for £5 so decided to see if it will fix the issues I'm experiencing. I've briefly tried swapping the Power Supplies but the problem still seemed to be occuring. At the moment I have them with their respective hubs but will probably try the new hubs power supply with the old one for a while longer. The reason I was replying though is the old hub is a 2.0b(i) for use with infinity and the new hub is a 2.0b. Is there any way to upgrade (or flash) the hub I got today to function as a 2.0b(i) - looking at the outside of the hubs they seem to be identical (I don't know what they are like internally) just with an additional sticker added to the 2.0b(i). 

Thanks again for your help. 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Sounds like your problem is more to do with the modem than the homehub.

Who installed Infinity for you?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
davidmbaker
Message 5 of 6

It has been installed for a long, long while. Up to yesterday we had been using Infinity without any issues. Then suddenly it started restarting the router randomly. (Sometimes it seems to happen within minutes of the previous reset and other times runs for hours okay.) A speed test seemed to return normal results (good fast download and upload speeds) when I ran that. (Although the Xbox One was only showing all games as one bar when I tried it the other night.)

When it was installed it was a qualified BT engineer who came out. (A few years back now.) This PC had also being working fine with it until yesterday. It is also occuring with all other devices connected. It doesn't seem to be linked to any singlular device starting to use the connection. (We've experimented with that one.)

We have on two occasions previously had problems with our phone connection at the base of the pole outside but that tends to be far more progressive. This is a lot more random than that has been.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

I thought you were suggesting it was connected to the phones, now you moved the base station downstairs it's a lot better?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings