cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Home Hub6 - Infinity - Died or Lost Settings?

I posted a while ago about this.

I have a home hub 6 that appeared to lose settings overnight. Normally, on the hub, I change its IP, the admin password, network password etc - so, losing the settings means all connections (lan and wifi) stop.

It happened again last night - we had been watch TV via iPlayer, so I know the config was fine up until about 10pm. By 1am the config was 'lost' (my internet radio wasn't connecting and that alerted me) and had been reset to factory defaults. I have reset all the changes and it's working fine again .

But checking the log (which seems to only start at this entry - nothing before) I get what appears to be an error.

Log EntryLog Entry

I haven't any log entries to compare this to - ie nothing for the previous days so I can check what happens around midnight. Is there a chance that a firmware upgrade is causing some form of issue?

Is it a hardware issue with the Hub6? If so, I think I should have received a new hub when I extended my contract recently (April I think), so can that be sent out?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Home Hub6 - Infinity - Died or Lost Settings?

can you post the hub stats instead of logs - technical log information

there is no longer a new hub provided when you renew your contract and this has been case for good few years.  if you hub is faulty then you phone 150 and request a replacement

can you try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@imjolly 

Is this what you meant by the stats?

Product name:Smart Hub

Serial number:+088044+1827003046

Firmware version:v0.09.06.05093-BT

Firmware updated:Fri Jun 19 00:51:36 2020

Board version:01

DSL uptime:0 days,13 Hours40 Mins35 Secs

Data rate:20 Mbps / 53.347 Mbps

Maximum data rate:23.395 Mbps / 61.780 Mbps

Noise margin:6.7 / 5.9

Line attenuation:17.5 / 16.1

Signal attenuation:17.3 / 16.1

Data sent / received:901.9 MB / 13.0 GB

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:DSL-2740R

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)

5 GHz wireless network name:DSL-2740R

5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)

Wireless security:WPA2

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:Default

MAC address:4C:1B:86:1A:6D:74

Software variant:-

Boot loader: 0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016)

Not sure what 17070 option 2 is supposed to do (I only have cordless phones anyway)_ - but I just got a repeated 'Quiet Line Test' every few seconds. I left it for 3 minutes.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

as I posted the quiet line test is exactly that when you select option 2 it should be silent apart from the announcement - any noise whatsoever is a problem for broadband ( apart from maybe dull hum from cordless)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@imjolly 

OK - if the hub losing config data may be down to a noisy line, isn't there a better 'automated' way for checking for noise on a line that doesn't rely on a 60+ year old's ears and potentially dodgy handsets?

Given that the issue has occurred twice and in both cases overnight when the hub is less active, is it possible that firmware upgrades or other such automated maintenance is potentially involved? This time, the hubs blue light was on - typically my config has the light being turned on at 7am and off at 6pm - so something had changed the config between 10pm (the last time the hub was 'actively' used) and 1am when the internet radio couldn't connect. And it seems from the logs that an update was applied about that date.

0 Ratings