My HomeHub 5 on VDSL has behaved reasonably for a few months. A couple of days ago it decided to drop the connection and renegotiate the speed, then did it again an hour later, then decided to have a little festival of it and did it once a minute or so for half an hour. Unusable. BT of course seem blissfully unaware of anything.
I reset the box at 6AM this morning, and had a good 7 hours out of it. Until 14:04 this afternoon, when a repeat disconnectfest was organised for me. Nothing in the log, and the speed wasn't materially changed by these shenanigans.
About 15:00 I turned off uPnP. Don't need it, Exploits abound (Filet-o-Firewall). Since then it's been up and working.
Anyone else had similar?
Ive had infinity2, homehub 5 for 2 weeks. Since install its pretty much never worked. Connection constantly dropping, having to reset 8/7 times a day. Had engineers out, they say theyve fixed then after theyve gone connection drops again. Getting pretty fed up now!
This particular Altar of Electronics (HH5) is, apparently, vulnerable to resets. Mine tinkered with itself for several days after install, adjusting speed up and down by practically zero before settling on something it seemed to like, which was almost what it started with. Communication from BT has remained zero...
Have a look in the log. Mine has nothing, apart from occasional script kiddies on ports 22 and 161. Then tighten up your security. I may have had DDoS issues with uPnP: the HH5, allegedly, doesn't understand uPnP properly.
Then look at replacing the HH5. I spent £61 at PC World this afternoon (on a TP 9980). But since disabling uPnP, I may not need it.
If I don't reply tomorrow, I have broken everything...
Wasn't uPnp (no real surprise). The hub fell over this morning again, so I replaced it with the TP W9980.
That has now been running since 8.30 this morning (4 1/2 hours) without any fuss or issues. It just works.
So, HomeHub 5 is a pile of junk.