Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT HomeHub Ultrafast Issues - Flashing Lights

Hey,

I had a look around but couldn't find any posts like the issue i'm experiencing.

I woke up today to find my HomeHub is switching between flashing orange and flashing purple. I have BT Ultrafast and it has been working mostly fine since late January of this year.

I did the usual support of rebooting the router and what not, but to no avail. Trying to access 192.168.1.254 hangs and on my mobile phone it says to "Sign in" which also hangs.

I decided to try out my old HomeHub 5 router, to see if it was the router or my line that seemed to be the issue. I know that the old routers are not compatible with Ultrafast but I gave it a whirl and got the same flashing light sequence.

I went through BT's Service Checker and stepped through the instructions on that, which has led to an Engineer Appointment booked for Monday.

However, I was just wondering if there was anything else I could try to establish what the issue could be? I do not have a landline to dial the line and check for noise...

Is it my line that has suddenly tanked, in which I do need this engineer appointment? or maybe it is a router issue?

Only other issues I experience is that every 5 days at 11:30pm, the router would automatically restart which was very irritating since I am always using it at that time. I couldn't find a way to fix that either.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT HomeHub Ultrafast Issues - Flashing Lights

The simplest diagnostic tool is a phone. Buy one or borrow one and check for dial tone at the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket. chances are you have a line fault, lack of dial tone will confirm that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Okay, an update on this, and its really odd what's going on.

I got home from work and my internet was suddenly working again, just as I bought a landline phone to test it.

Called up BT and got them to cancel the engineer and mini hub delivery (which got delivered anyway as it was a bit too late). The guy on the phone said he would have a quick look at what even happened.

Apparently, an integrity check happens 3 times, and for some reason at 2am, the results of this check was "Inconclusive", which took down my internet. It wasn't till 2pm (roughly 12 hours) that another check happened, which returned no faults and my internet was resolved.

Now, my internet went down again with the same issue at midnight last night. I tried out the landline and a dial tone was present, so my line wasn't an issue. I gave it till lunch time today and it was back up and running, so it seems to be failing the first check of this "integrity" check, then redoing it 12 hours later and resolving itself.

I'm going to give BT a call and see what is going on, because I'm not a fan of losing internet for 12 hours a day if this is consistent.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 5

Did you also do a quiet line test? 17070 option 2 the line should be silent, any noise will cause dropouts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Just did one, there is no noise on the line.

Called up BT and explained the situation, got back to me after being on hold saying going to do a line test for me, but during on hold, my internet went down! And then during on hold again when he went to do checks, they hung up on me!

Going to try calling again and not getting hung up on this time.

0 Ratings