Did you mean: 
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 20

BT Homehub & Hub phone - what happens to them if I move to BT Infinity

Go to solution

Hi there,

I wonder if you can answer these questions:

If I move to Infinity what will happen to my BT Hub phone (and the 056... number)?

What will happen to my Hub (version 2)?

Presumably it will be replaced with the newer v3 Hub.  I believe the Hub phone has been discontinued now, so the v3 Hub doesn't have a phone dock - although the pictures for Infinity show a stand-alone phone/dock.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Homehub & Hub phone - what happens to them if I move to BT Infinity

Go to solution

@jonmale wrote:

Hi there,

If I move to Infinity what will happen to my BT Hub phone (and the 056... number)?

Presumably it will be replaced with the newer v3 Hub.  I believe the Hub phone has been discontinued now, so the v3 Hub doesn't have a phone dock - although the pictures for Infinity show a stand-alone phone/dock.

Thanks!

BT talk has been discontinued and is not provided with Infinity so your Hub phone and number will no longer work with Infinity.

Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

You will loose your BT BB Talk number if you move to Infinity as the service is not compatable with the hub.

However, many on here with hub 3 have asked to keep it as BT Softphone does work with hub 3, so too does BT BB Talk work on a smartphone using the Sipdroid app.  BT Smart Talk seems to be the intended replacement for BT BB Talk.

Not a popular move with many of us; taking away one very distinctive feature of BT Broadband.

BB Talk will be phased out come what may sad to say Smiley Mad

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

You will lose your Broadband Talk number, but you can still use the hub phones, provided you keep hold of your old home hub.

This diagram shows how.

Using your old BT Hub Phones with your Home Hub 3 - Infinity  Version

Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@jonmale wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks!

BT talk has been discontinued and is not provided with Infinity so your Hub phone and number will no longer work with Infinity.

Not discontinued quite yet, as many of us are still using it with hub 3...............Smiley Wink

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

@AllanQuatermain wrote:

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@jonmale wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks!

Not discontinued quite yet, as many of us are still using it with hub 3...............Smiley Wink

It has been discontinued to new customers

0 Ratings
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for the rapid replies guys!

BT Smart Talk seems to be the intended replacement for BT BB Talk.

I got that impression. I have to get my head round what SmartTalk is all about. Guess it's a similar type of thing to Skype - making phonecalls thru the web?

BB Talk will be phased out come what may sad to say

I could never really get my head round BB Talk (despite being technically minded)!
I just loved/love the design (asthetics) of the Hub and phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution
correct but not to existing BT customers who still have the service active and as posted there are work round even with infinity
0 Ratings
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

You will lose your Broadband Talk number, but you can still use the hub phones, provided you keep hold of your old home hub.

Thanks for that. So the old Hub will effectively 'daisychain' to the new Hub 3? I presume the phone handset will only act as a regular phone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

@jonmale wrote:

Thanks for that. So the old Hub will effectively 'daisychain' to the new Hub 3? I presume the phone handset will only act as a regular phone?

Yes, that is correct. All you will be using the old home hub for, is a DECT base station.

It quite useful if you have more than one hub phone, as it saves buying new cordless handsets