cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Hub 6 losing connection daily

Go to solution

I'm on Fibre 2. Once a day, sometimes once every couple of days, my internet connection drops and the router light will quickly flash red. Usually I have to unplug and plug the power back in, then after a while it goes to med-speed flashing, then eventually gets connection back. If I don't power cycle/restart, it tends to just get stuck on the fast flashing forever.

When this started happening a month or two ago, this would happen at pretty much exactly the same time each night, but lately it has been happening at random times each day.

I've tried to get into a chat on bt.com to speak with someone but the process goes like this:

1. Go to support, go through selections until 'broadband keeps dropping out'
2. Run the broadband test
3. Get asked for alternative number
4. Enter number
5. Get told there's no problem found and to call/chat via button below
6. Hit chat button
7. Get sent back to main support section, repeat

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Hub 6 losing connection daily

Go to solution

@supa42 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Just tried the test with the only home phone we have, a cheap cordless, and there is a very quiet slight staticky kind of sound that can be heard throughout the test, including during when the words "quiet line test" are spoken

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@supa42 wrote:

Just tried the test with the only home phone we have, a cheap cordless, and there is a very quiet slight staticky kind of sound that can be heard throughout the test, including during when the words "quiet line test" are spoken

I would normally expect it to be quiet.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The front panel is off and it's plugged into the bottom right, is that that the test socket? I've never seen the box with the front panel attached, it's been like this for as long as I can remember. I assume it would look like 1 or 2 with the front on though. Probably 1 as there's no 'openreach' written at the top.

I can't believe I didn't mention this, but an engineer is due out to look at a loose cable that has just started hanging in front of the house- speak of the devil, he literally just knocked on the door! He's gonna sort it now. I just got off the phone with BT to get someone out about this and he's just shown up less than 30 mins after the call! The person on the phone said there's a small fault on the line too, so someone else is coming out Tuesday to look in and outside of the house.

Haven't really done this in the right order, sorry! It just suddenly clicked that I really should have the cable looked at first, I just keep forgetting about it. Maybe the slight noise on the line is due to how windy it is at the minute and the cable being loose at the moment. There was no fault reported when I was on the phone about this a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your help so far though! I'll keep the thread updated through the next few days.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The problems you describe, are almost certain to be caused by a bad connection on the external network, which I am sure the Openreach Field Technician will soon sort out.

Overhead connections always cause more problems than underground ones.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Connection has dropped a few times since the engineer came to the house Tuesday last week but at least it’s not happening every day anymore. Hasn’t happened for 7 days now!

0 Ratings