cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 38

Re: BT INFINITY - Unacceptable Cabinet Enabling Delays - 2 years+

This is strange, I can't remember seeing an activation date on my cabinet.

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 22 of 38

I'm going to have to I think, this is getting silly now. One of the main reasons I accepted moving to this area is fibre was scheduled.

This is the form to contact them ya? https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

Also according to this site (I saw someone post it on here): https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=705473&postcodeloc=13427&cabinet=P1

It should have been ready as part of Phase10a, 2013... ? (I may be misunderstanding that bit). Not sure what the % by the cabinet number means, but it's 100% for my road.

And the last update on there says May 2016 lol, (despite the ADSL checker having it as June 30th, up to now).

I understand there may be issues, but it has been YEARS now, and advertising it on billboards on my street is a further slap in the face.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 38

apart from use the form to contact openreach there is nothing you can do to speed up the process.  there is obviously a problem with the cabinet as openreach would not delay activation unless there is a problem - they are unable to recoup their expenditure on the cabinet the longer it take to activate

I have one in my area in similar circumstances and it is coming up 3yrs since cabinet installed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
louisoft01
Beginner
Message 24 of 38

I had issues like this when I was waiting for FTTC. I'm afraid you will just have to wait. Smiley Sad 

Looks like you will just have to wait and check back every few weeks to see if it is avalable yet.

0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 25 of 38

Yeah I've filled out that form I linked, will see what they say.

It's just getting a bit ridiculous now. Pointless putting a **bleep** date if they've no intention of meeting it.

I understand dates can be missed, but for YEARS?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 38

As I said before it's a placeholder date. It will automatically shift every 3 months until work is started and they have a better idea of when it'll actually be live, then you'll see it'll change to an odd date like 23/08 for example.

What usully happens is that "squads" are sent to areas each sqaud being responsbile for for the various phases of cabinet activation. Once the dig team have done all the digging in the area, they move onto the next. Same goes for the fibre guys, the connecting of the tie pairs guys, the overseeing the power team, testing team etc.

If your cabinet can't be connected to the fibre because of a blocked duct, it usually gets taken out of the work stack and the squad will move onto the next area rather than slowing the whole rollout down. You're then left waiting for a spare slot for them to come back and visit your one cabinet.

Imagine there's 3 weeks worth of work to get your cabinet up and running, during that time they could be working on another 30 cabinets (the squads get allocated batches of cabients close together to improve efficiency). They'll not wait around in one area for weeks waiting for a blockage to be cleared.

Now imagine they eventually unblock a duct to find out 200m closer to the cabinet there's another blocked duct, the whole process begins again. This is why cabinets can sometimes appear to be left behind for years I'm afraid.

As the roll out slows down, which it will do soon, Openreach will have more time to go back and visit cabinets that wrere unfinished for whatever reason, but for now, it makes way more commercial sense to spend that time working on a large batch of cabinets than it does spending 2 or 3 weeks activating one problematic one.

People forget that Openreach are a commercial business with the intent of making money.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Message 27 of 38

@Webby, amazing post. Brilliant explanation of why these problems arise.

Bob36
Contributor
Message 28 of 38

Knocked back to December now, /sigh.

So much for the obvious fob off from the Indian bloke saying there'd be an "update" mid-august lol..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 38

As above, the end of quarter dates are simply placeholders.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Bob36
Contributor
Message 30 of 38

Yeah I get ya. Still irritating though.

Interesting it's now moved to "Activation" stage, which says typically available within a month, yet the ADSL checker still shows December 31st lol.

Hope it comes soon. I presume all the big issues should be out of the way now?

0 Ratings