cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT IP Address

Hi All,

How do we change our IP coming into our property? 

I know how to change local IP on my router and how to assign different IP addresses to different PCs etc. 

I just not sure how to change the IP coming into my property ONT from BT. I have an IP ban that ends in a couple of weeks. But need to get on asap, if i can change it and remove the IP ban that will work. If not ill have to just wait for it to be removed.

Cheers! 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT IP Address

Have you tried restarting your router? May need to wait a couple of mins between turning off and switching back on. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

That wud restart local ip wudnt it but dosent my BT IP come in on the ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@Davemarsden132 wrote:

That wud restart local ip wudnt it but dosent my BT IP come in on the ONT?

The public IP address is assigned by the BT Home hub. Local LAN IP addresses are also allocated by the home hub.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

So if i switch of my ONT, and BT Hub well i use 3rd party router XR700.

If i switch them of and wait couple hours an turn back on shud be ok

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

It's just the BT Smart Hub in your set up that needs to be restarted by the looks.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Davemarsden132 I'd recommend leaving the hub switched off for at least 15 mins. 

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

The public address is issued to the Smart Hub by BT’s DHCP when it registers with the network.

Be aware that the DHCP will re-issue the same address where it can.  (The next best thing to a static address).  If you just reboot the router, it will probably pick up the same address.

To be sure the address changes I would turn the Smart Hub off for several minutes, possibly even half an hour.  After that time the old address will almost certainly have been issued to someone else and you will pick up a new address.