Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plymchris
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

BT Infinity 1: Download Speed 1.87mbps!

Go to solution

I have reported this fault to BT after Infinity Speed dropped through floor. After satisfying them there was nothing wrong with my equipment and internal wiring they informed me the drop was due to a "network error". I have now been notified that the error is fixed, but this is a screenshot of the speeds post-fix!

How long should I wait to see if this problem is indeed fixed? Should I seek moderator support?

This is the first time I have experienced a problem of this magnitude.

Any thoughts, please?

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Infinity 1: Download Speed 1.87mbps!

Go to solution
If you have a HH5 you can see the line stats in Troubleshooting, Helpdesk
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
plymchris
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Only HH3 I'm afraid. I haven't rebooted the HH3 or modem as tech support told me not to touch it until I hear from them. Although my fault status claims the problem to be fixed, I have had no one to one communication from them. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution
You could try rebooting the modem
--
0 Ratings
plymchris
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Rebooting has pushed the speed up to 1.9mbps! Until recently I enjoyed speeds close to the advertised maximum for Infinity 1. Originally I was told I would be contacted in 48 hours (this was before the fault was listed as cleared in the My BT section of the website). I think if this problem persists after the 48 hour period I would like to contact a moderator for further support. I would like to get this resolved and I don't see any point in flouncing off to another ISP who in this area would be using the same infrastructure anyway (we can't get Virgin where I live). I am on the Torpoint exchange in Cornwall if that means anything to anyone. Under Ofcom rules as I understand them pertaining to broadband speeds, I understand I should be able to leave my contract without penalty if speed issues of this magnitude are not resolved. I would rather not do this if I'm honest. So I shall wait with baited breath.......

0 Ratings
plymchris
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

What I fail to understand from the BT Wholesale data, is the maximum achievable download speed for my line, which is quoted as 1.93 mbps. Surely as an Infinity customer it should be up to 38mbps. If 1.93 is all I can hope to achieve, something is amiss somewhere, unless I completely misunderstand the science behind the numbers (which is highly likely!)

Capture 2.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
DLM has capped your sync speed to try and make your line stable probably due to the fault. It can take DLM 2 weeks to gradually raise the cap.
--
plymchris
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you. I did wonder if DLM was at work in all this somewhere. If this is the case, am I right in thinking I shouldn't attempt any more reboots? Would this interfere with the process?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
It could interfere if you do it 10 times a day. Once in a 24 hour period should be fine, but if you just leave it for 2 weeks it would be best.
--
plymchris
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you again. But would DLM really cap my synch speed at such a low rate? It looks to be about only 10% of what it should be. Sorry to keep bouncing back with questions, but it will be useful to be armed with some info when BT decide to get back to me. 

0 Ratings