cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KremmenUK
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Infinity 1 Installation

Currently I have a 10 metre extension cable plugged into my BT master socket. This flat ribbon cable is neatly hidden from view round the room and my current ADSL2+ modem/router is attached to the other end.

Works perfectly.

If I opt for BT Infinity 1 (FTTC) can this existing cable be used so I can have the BT Hub near the PC ?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Infinity 1 Installation

Hi

Prob not a good idea due to it being the flat type of cable, could seriously impact on your speed. The engineer can run a data extension cable to where you PC is from the main socket. This cable is a twisted pair, and the cable size is a lot smaller than a Cat 5 cable.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
KremmenUK
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

OK thanks, so my current 10 metre RJ11 cable is no good for the job.

I've been doing some searching and I've currently got an old 1970's LJU single port BT Master Socket with a split ADSL Microfilter and the 10 metre RJ11 plugged into that.

I assume that in my case the engineer would fit a new more up to date master socket and a replacement 10m extension cable to the required Router and Home Hub location.

As per others If I can get the cable in advance I can do the invisible routing round the room in readiness.

(or just go BT ADSL2+)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

The RJ11 should normally be as short as possible as you could get noise/interference induced (normal telephone/computer cables have twists in the wiring to counteract noise/interference)

Yes the engineer will replace the socket for a NTE5 (linebox) and will install the infinity plate and front plate and then run a data extension cable to where your PC is.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
KremmenUK
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Understood.

So there will be an extension cable (10 metres) from the new NTE5 to my preferred Router/Home Hub location where my current CAT5 from the PC already terminates ?

thsnks

0 Ratings