Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ealdorman
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity 1 Performance Issue

In September 2014 I agreed a contract for BT Infinity 1, with an Openreach sub-contractor installing the NTE5 Mk3 master socket and testing the line which indicated download speeds of 18-22Mbps (contract estimate was 32Mbps) which he said would improve. Despite numerous complaints, download performance never improved for the duration of the contract. Having been a BT customer for 35 years and with a promise of improvements to the download performance including a guaranteed minimum of 27Mbps I agreed to a new contract in October 2015. Unfortunately there was no improvement in performance until 6th February 2017 when after repeated requests an Openreach engineer identified that the master socket had been incorrectly installed in 2014. After correcting the problem, download speed immediately increased to 29-30Mbps, and within a few days stabilised at 33-35Mbps. With promises of speeds of up to 52Mbps, I agreed a new 12 month contract.

As I was happy with the download speeds and general system stability I agreed to another  contract renewal in February 2018, despite a reduced guaranteed minimum download speed of 20Mbps.

Performance acceptable until 26th February 2019, when an Openreach engineer was seen working on the joint/distribution post immediately outside my house. According to my Smarthub log, the sync speed dropped overnight from variable 37-39Mbps (download speed 33-35Mbps) to fixed 30Mbps with current download speeds of between 18-25Mbps.

BT insist there is no problem, as much of the time I receive my current contract minimum of 20Mbps. They also insist that there is no cap on the sync speed in the DLM Profile, but say they are unable to reset the profile or even access the information. Openreach refuse to get involved telling me to go back to my ISP.

It appears my options are:-

Accept current performance and change FTTC ISP or downgrade to basic broadband to save costs.

Change ISP to hopefully trigger an instruction to Openreach to investigate the problem and reset the DLM profile.

Pay £130 for Openreach engineer investigation.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity 1 Performance Issue

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  this will give estimated conenction speed range  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

post stats from your hub  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk   if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

Bear in mind that all speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds not actual download speeds - No ISP guarantees download speed as to many variables

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ealdorman
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Plaesae note the observation date..Availability 10May19.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

So estimated connection speed is between 34/20mb and connection was 30mb at 26/4

line noise?

hub stats?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ealdorman
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Note pre 26Feb19 sync speed was 38Mbps.

Hub Info.jpg

17070 Quiet Line Test indicated some intermittent noise.

0 Ratings
Ealdorman
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

My interpretation of guarantee is based on following:-

Guarantee 28Feb18.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

If you can hear line noise then you need to check again from test socket to eliminate your internal wiring from causing the problem. This will help avoid the call out charge of £85

the speed quoted by BT are connection speeds. I know what the initial docs say but if you read the T&C it is clarified - this has been covered numerous times previously

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Good morning @Ealdorman and welcome to the community.

Thanks for posting about your connection speeds. I'm sorry for the late reply. I've had a read through your posts and as you've mentioned noise on your line the first thing you need to try is the quiet line test, I can see @imjolly has mentioned this. Can you try that and let me know what you find?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Ealdorman
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Dave

17070 Quiet line check on test socket has some background noise present.

It may be that the current broadband performance that I am now experiencing is the best I can get now, but I would still like to know what changes were made on or about 26th February 2019. The timing appears to coincide with a neighbour's change in ISP which apparently resulted in some changeover problems.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Good morning @Ealdorman and thanks for getting back to me.

If you can hear noise on the line then you need to report this to faults on 151 (don't mention the broadband side of things). If there is a problem with the line then once it's sorted your broadband should recover automatically.

As to your neighbour changing ISP, we wouldn't have any information on what the engineer might have done or what changes were made.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings