Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaunmroberts
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

BT Infinity 1 - Poor Speed - 25mbps down - BT are not helping - Intermittent

Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I've read some posts previously and decided this may be the only option I have left. Sorry if this is a little long winded but I feel it's necessary to sympathise with me.

All my issues started on the first day, the day of install.

The day of install was Friday 10th of February. I took a day off work to ensure everything was going to go smoothly without any issues. I had to re-arrange the delivery of my Router and TV Box to this day as I missed the attempted delivery on the 9th, due to being at work. 

It's the 10th of February, I wake up at 07:30 and walk 15 minutes to my flat, I didn't want to miss this Engineer (His time slot was 08:00 to 13:00). I get into my empty flat (I've only just moved in) and it's freezing cold. I pop the electric heating on and try to warm up, hoping the engineer will be early. I haven't had breakfast either, I'm starving. I could walk 3 minutes to a local Greggs but again, I didn't want to risk missing this engineer.

The time is now 11:00. It's still cold but my Father was kind of enough to bring me a pack lunch. I sit on the floor and eat my ham sandwiches. I decide to phone customer services to query the engineer ETA. They state that the time slot is 08:00-13:00 and that he should be there within this time. I accepted this and came off the phone.

The time is now 13:30 and I phone BT Customer Services in India again to query the engineer, they tell me that he's already been, he only had to turn my connection on at the junction box or something along these lines. Again, I accepted this and came off the phone.

At this point I wondered where my Router and TV box delivery was. For some reason, BT are using Parcelforce as their courier. I check my tracking number on their website and apparently, the delivery has been attempted. Well, that cannot be possible? I've been here since 07:45 this morning inside a dead quiet, cold and empty flat. I figured he must not have used the intercom, all he had to do was dial my door number for me to let him inside. But no, Parcelforce didn't even bother at all. I phoned Parcelforce and they confirm a delivery was attempted, I argue this of course and the best they can do is have another delivery attempt on Monday 13th, when I'm back at work. I decide to change the delivery address so the driver wouldn't have to worry about intercoms. 

At this point I'm annoyed, I've taken a day off work for nothing. 

It's now Saturday 11th. This is the big move in day for my pregnant girlfriend of 29 weeks and me. We are getting our first place together and are going to start a family. We take absolutely everything we own and of course, it turns out to be one of the most stressful days of our lives.

Remember my Father who brought me a pack lunch? I asked a favour of him, the Parcelforce depot was in Leicester, that's 60 odd miles from where we live. I asked him to travel there with my ID to collect the parcel, to which he said yes. I couldn't have been more thankful, he drove all that way to get my router for me and back. 

It's Saturday evening, we have set everything up, our first home is looking “homely” and we now have TV, Phone & Internet. I check the speed of my connection and it was only showing 14mbps down and 3-4mbps up. I knew I was in a stabilisation period and accepted it. 

I go back to work Monday. Monday evening I am ill. I've got a viral infection. No doubt from being inside a cold flat and physically exerting myself during the move - as well as the stress on top. I am off for the rest of the work week. 

I'm ill but still check my PC now and then, I perform another speed test (btwholesalespeedtester) and I am getting 14mbpsdown and 3-4mbps up still. This is massively below what I should be getting. I'm paying for infinity1, up to 52mbps down, 35mbps promised. I speak to BT via webchat and perform some basic troubleshooting, they decide to send an engineer on Thursday. I think to myself, an engineer should have been here in the first place. How could they know whether I even had a connection or not in my flat? 

Come Thursday, my connection is no different. The best I have seen it at was 27mbps down and 8.5mbps up. Not too bad I thought, still not what I am paying for though. The engineer arrives promptly, 08:30. He even gave me a ring beforehand just to make sure I was home. 

I make him a cold drink while he explains what he suspects the issue to be. Apparently, several engineers have been to these flats to investigate similar issues. Apparently, the quality of cabling used in the building is of poor quality, it's not meant for Fibre. This could not get any worse, I thought. 

He performs his tests on the line and does everything within his ability. He even shows me the main electrical cupboard downstairs of the building, he confirmed the connection going into the building was great, what I would expect. However, as soon as the connection transfers over into the internal cabling of the building, it goes down to what I am receiving on my end. Now, this is bad news. BT don't own the cabling inside my building so, they are not responsible for it. 

There is nothing more that BT can do he says.

BT had offered to lie the cabling when the flats were developed, the contractors declined. 

BT have even offered to lie cabling outside of the flats along the wall, completely avoiding any issues with the internal wiring. This was also declined.

I phone BT customer services but they are no help what so ever. I spoke to options team to see if I could get a cheaper package but the next lowest is standard ADSL. I have no use for this. 

I spoke to the billing manager in hopes that I could have some money knocked off my bill, after all. I am paying £112.98 for initial set up costs, what did BT set up? 

I am further paying £39.99 a month for my package, when I am receiving less than minimum speeds. My connection is also intermittent. It's not stable at all. BT won't help me. They only offered to reduce my next bill by £10 and that was only offered to me by a British person. The BT Indian Call Centre do nothing. Now, when I spoke to the billing manager there, he mentioned the set-up costs were due soon. I explained that I could not afford them in the middle of the month and asked to change the date of payment. He said this cannot be done however you can cancel the direct debit ASAP with your bank, then pay when you can. This is what I did.

Since then, I've escalated the issue to my building management. They've chased it with the company who oversaw the development and assured me the cables used would allow acceptable speeds. I've seen the cables with my own two eyes, it's security alarm cabling.

I am at a dead end with this issue. Property management won't help me. BT won't help me.

Today my services were cut of entirely by BT due to me not paying the initial set up costs even though I had an agreement. I felt bullied into paying this today to get everything up and running again.

They are also going to charge me disconnection and connection fees.

I have never been so mistreated by a service provider before, can BT get any worse? This has caused so much stress and anxiety. I don't know what I can even do any more...

Thanks for reading, I sincerely hope you can offer me some advice in this matter.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Infinity 1 - Poor Speed - 25mbps down - BT are not helping - Intermittent

the network belongs to Openreach not BT Consumer your service provider this also applies to all other providers except cable the internal wiring is not Openreach's responsibility your problem is firmly in your Property management company I f Openreach have offered to resolve the problem and the property management have refused there is nothing BT can do to help you I am afraid
0 Ratings
shaunmroberts
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Re: BT Infinity 1 - Poor Speed - 25mbps down - BT are not helping - Intermittent

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear but I guess it's the truth. I'm screwed. Paying £40 a month for bad internet...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

BT are not supplying bad Internet, they would appear to be supplying what they agreed to supply and what you are paying for. It's after the supply gets in to the property that is the problem. If it is the internal wiring that is the problem it is your building management company that you need to pursue to have your wiring replaced. 

0 Ratings
shaunmroberts
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

So if BT cannot provide the minimum speed, what does that mean in terms on my contract with them?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

The correct speed was seen by the engineer at the DP in your electrical cupboard the fault is with poor quality wiring after that installed by your management company's contractors the problem is neither BT consumers or Openreach's responsibility unless your property management improve the wiring there is nothing that can be done
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 16

You mentioned being in a flat ... is it on the ground floor or no? I'm thinking if your management company was in agreement, and you weren't too far from the distribution cupboard BTo could do an internal shift, but it'd cost you, least you'd have what you thought you were getting.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@shaunmroberts wrote:

So if BT cannot provide the minimum speed, what does that mean in terms on my contract with them?

The only reason that BT can not provide the minimum speed is because the wiring after the Distribution Point inside the property is not up to standard. The internal wiring is not BT/Openreach's responsibility. They have identified that as being the problem and how it can be fixed.

I doubt you will be able to do anything as regards your contract as BT have fulfilled their part by identifying the problem and offering to fix it. It is not their fault that your management company won't pay for the wiring to be upgraded

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 16

If as you say the wiring is security alarm standard then it is sub par for any internet connection. As everyone in your block will be suffering the same issue why not get together and all approach the management company. You may then get them to realise that the fault lies with the contractor they had.

Why you are blaming BT for a problem they have no control over is beyond me, pressure those who are responsible.

0 Ratings
shaunmroberts
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

I am not blaming BT for the internet speed. I never said that.

I am however blaming BT for poor customer service, despite all the difficulties I have been through. They've only offered £10 off my next bill which is a joke.

I am escalating the issue with property management. 

0 Ratings