cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EPThom04
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity 1 - Recurring 'DNS server not responding/Resolving host' issue - please help

Hi,

I have had BT Infinity 1 for a number of years, with a HomeHub 5.

1 desktop PC and 1 YouView box connected via Ethernet cables, 2 laptops and 1 android phone via WiFi.

In October 2018 I started getting 'DNS_PROBE_FAILED' and constant 'Resolving Host' messages in my browsers - (I tried Chrome and IE just in case - same result) on all devices. Eventually, after at least 5 minutes of the resolving host issue, the hub light flashes orange and does not reconnect until I do a restart of the HH.

This issue happens a few times a day.

I used BT's live chat function at first to report the fault, they 'did some tests' then eventually said 'please call customer support' and closed the live chat.

Called BT support multiple times and was told they would send us a new HH. Took another 3 calls to chase this up as it didn't arrive as promised. Eventually received HH6. Same issue.

Things I have tried, as recommended in other posts:

- Changing network adapter DNS settings to other addresses (Google, OpenDNS, etc.)

- Unchecked the IPv6 option in the adapter settings

- Factory reset of HH - tried this on both HH5 and HH6

- Switched off firewall temporarily

- Switched off Smart Setup

- Switched off Parental Controls

- Used the master socket test port - same issue

I've tried all combinations of the above to try to get a stable connection but to no avail.

Also, our download speed is maximum 7.5 mbps. We were told we could get up to 22mbps at best here which seems low to me for Infinity 1 as we're around 1 mile from the exchange but still, we can live with that if the connection is stable.

Just really annoyed as we had to take out a new contract in order to get the new HH6 as we'd paid off the previous contract and were on a rolling monthly plan, thus meaning the HH5 we had was no longer in warranty. It seems ridiculous that we've signed up to a new deal and still have the same problem, while BT support is next to useless.

If anyone can give me some pointers it would be massively appreciated.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity 1 - Recurring 'DNS server not responding/Resolving host' issue - please help

It sounds more like a phone line issue, where there are a large number of errors causing multiple re-transmissions.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

EPThom04
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: BT Infinity 1 - Recurring 'DNS server not responding/Resolving host' issue - please help

Thanks for getting back to me Keith.

I tried 17070, option 2 and there's a faint sshhh-ing sound throughout the entire call - not sure if that's a symptom?! Should the call be perfectly silent?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Yes if using corded phone. Any noise needs reported to 151 as phone fault not broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.