cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity 1 Speeds Dropped...Esp Upstream....

Go to solution
Usually we get 32-38 mbps DS and 8-11 mbps US. The hub reconnects every 2-6 weeks or so and the speeds have been in this range for 2 years or so.

On Friday 6 July, speeds were poor (i forget the figures) and it seemed to make the BT YouView box play up - internet channels not working etc

I rebooted the hub and all was restored, although slightly down on "usual". Something like 20 mbps DS and 2 US. I wasn't too bothered as i was going away for a week and i figured i'd leave to settle down.

Came home yesterday (14 July) and the wifi was terrible. Checked the hub and it showed 28 mbps DS but 769 kbps US. Also it had rebooted about 7 hours before i came home.

I tried a few speed tests. Some failed and some confirmed the figures the hub was showing. So i reluctantly opted for another reboot of the hub. 20 mbps DS and 624 kbps US.

Left it over night and when i checked at 7am the hub had restarted itself during the night and simalar low figures again. 

Since then it's restarted twice (currently 11:22 am) and i have the following.....

BT Infinity
Firmware version:
SG4B1000B540
Firmware updated:
23-May-2018
Downstream sync speed:
26.80 Mbps
Upstream sync speed:
608.00 kbps
Network uptime:
0 Days, 0 Hours 33 Minutes
System uptime:
0 Days, 3 Hours 51 Minutes

Now i can live with the DS speed but the US is causing issues.

I have tried the BT Speed Test from my iphone - it failed.

IMG_4903.PNG

Speedtest.net confirms the figures above and the BT Speedtest site only confirmed the DS speed.....

I tried ringing 17070 but it goes straight to an engaged tone!!! Caller Display says Not Possible

Is there anything i can do?

Edit: Just found out we can recieve landline calls but have no dialling tone and can't make calls out. Not sure how long this has been as we rarely make outbound calls on the landline...... 
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity 1 Speeds Dropped...Esp Upstream....

Go to solution

you need to check that there is no dial tone from test socket to ensure problem is external and not internal wiring  if external then phone 151 and report phone fault not broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thank you. Found out that it was the upstairs cordless handset playing up. We have a dialling tone and sorted the handset out (battery out and back in). Then router restarted and was just orange steady light, orange flashing light, orange steady light etc for 30 minutes or so. Unplugged phone base unit from the BT Socket. 10 minutes later. Blue light.
So I’m doing the garden for a bit and will then see what happens. Now suspect either one of the handsets or the base unit. Will swap out for a wired handset later.
0 Ratings
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

After 4 calls to BT - one disconnected, one heard the issue and it then stopped after switching to the test socket, but returned after the call ended, one told me to buy a new BT socket "from a shop" and fit it myself!!! And the final call ended with an engineer booked for tuesday.

Problem is intermittant. Sometimes worse than others. Quiet test (17070) shows an issue 4 times out of 5. Also happens on the test socket so i am confident this is a line issue. No extensions connected to the master socket and problem happens with moden wireless phones and one cable telephone.

I'll take this to the phone forum.

Thanks again

Edit to Add:

Just seen router stats!!

Downstream sync speed:

37.99 Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

1.23 Mbps

Network uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 9 Minutes

System uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 36 Minutes

Better....

But if the phone is picked up the router drops the connection......

0 Ratings