cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard42
Contributor
Message 1 of 25

BT Infinity 1 - Upstream Rate IP Profile of 2Mbps?

Hello,

I have had BT Infinity 1 since earlier this year, I am a fair way from the exchange but the line is stable and clean.

The estimated speed that I was given was around 21-30Mbps download and 4.5-6.5Mbps upload.

The download is within range at ~ 21Mbps, but the upload has never exceeded 1.6Mbps.

Here are my current stats from my BT Home Hub 5:

6. Data rate:1530 / 21484
7. Maximum data rate:1530 / 21438
8. Noise margin:5.9 / 5.9
9. Line attenuation:38.8 / 32.0
10. Signal attenuation:38.7 / 26.8

I did pursue this with BT, but spent a huge amount of time going nowhere.  They did send an engineer out, but all he did was plug his test equipment in and got the same speed as I got with the router, which you would expect really.

I have repeatedly used the BT Wholesale speed tester at speedtest.btwholesale.net and it has always returned an 'Upstream Rate IP Profile' locked at 2Mbps.

Is it possible that when my line was setup, they put me on the 40/2 profile instead of the 40/10 profile by mistake, or is that just wishful thinking?  

I read of a similar incidence on these forums (similar speeds too) and it turned out that the guy was indeed incorrectly assigned to the 40/2 profile and he got switched to the 40/10 which fixed the issue.

Many thanks!

PS. Here's one of the tests I did:

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 22.17.38.png

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Infinity 1 - Upstream Rate IP Profile of 2Mbps?

You max attainable up connection speed is 1530 so even if your profile was changed to 10mb you are not going to get any faster speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

It is probable that you are not on Infinity 1 because of your speeds. You have been placed on Faster Broadband which is a fibre product but because of speeds that don't consistently run above 15Mbps it is not called Infinity. The UP IP profile for Faster Broadband is 2Mbps which going by your stats you would not be unable to attain  in any event.

see link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740/~/what-is-unlimited-faster-broadband%3F

0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 4 of 25

I'm definitely on BT Infinity 1, according to 'My BT' :

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 22.19.18.png

This is what www.dslchecker.bt.com reports:

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 22.57.04.png

Would changing the router help (it's a BT Home Hub 5) or am I wasting my effort?

0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 25

The result of the further diagnostics check shows (upload profile 2.0Mbs) that you are not on Infinity 1. You are on faster broadband with fibre with an upload of 2.0Mbps.

Now this is where it gets complicated, your account shows an Infinity 1  connection, your profile shows a faster BB with fibre connection and the further diagnostics shows a grade B line.

Trying to explain all that to the support line would get you nowhere except frustration.

I'll ask the mods to take a look.

It can take uo to 5 days from initial contact for them to get back to you but wait for them to take it on.

0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Thank you for asking the mods to take a look, very much appreciated.  I'll wait to hear and report back!

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 25

I forgot to add your stats show a grade B line which could be rectified to grade A allowing you to get Infinity 1 speeds.

This is not a given though especially if the problem is underground.

Let's wait and see what the mods have to say.

BTW the thread you referred to was 4yrs old.

0 Ratings
richard42
Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Thank you!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

Hi richard42, Thanks for posting. I can take a look at this and check what's available on the line. Drop me an email with your details. You'll get the contact link in my profile. Cheers David
0 Ratings