cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AndersonHowe
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Infinity 1 Upstream sync speed significant drop.

Go to solution

Looking for some advice regarding an issue that occured this morning and now the current problem.

I have BT infinity 1 52Mbps down/9.5Mbps up.

I live 0.2 miles from the telephone exchange and since joining BT 8 months ago my upstream and downstream sync speeds have been within 2Mbps of the 52/9.5.. until this morning. There was some sort of service outage that lasted for several hours intermittenly from around 5am - BT deny that there was a service outage.

After contacting BTs online help I followed their Ethernet tests/changing filter/removing faceplate and using the test socket - none of these changed the test results. The tests showed a downstream speed of 12Mbps-30Mbps. The downstream sync speed has since stabilised at 49.45Mbps, however the upstream sync speed fell from 9.5Mbps to 1Mbps and is now currently stabilised at 471.00 kbps.

I conacted BT again this time via telephone for them to claim that there isn't any issue with the upstream sync speed, blaming the issue on them not guaranteeing the upload speed and that speeds are slower during peak times despite the issue occuring at 5am? BT are refusing an engineer visit and refuse to acknowledge the issue regarding the upstream connection speed.

Surely it isn't normal for the upstream connection speed to drop to 1/20th of what is has been for the past 8 months? 

This issue makes it almost impossible to use any sort of cloud computing/cloud backup/cloud gaming.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Infinity 1 Upstream sync speed significant drop.

Go to solution
Escalate to a manager.

You need an engineer visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
AndersonHowe
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Asked for an engineer visit several times on the phone but the advisor was only interested in quoting the download speed and wouldn't acknowledge/didn't understand the significance of the huge reduction in the upload speed. Asked several times and they then said the only way I can have an engineer visit is if their system shows a problem with the download speed, and if they find no fault I'd have to pay for £129 for the visit!

Really appreciate the reply, what is the best way for me to escelate it to a manager? Will a manager understand my issue with the upload speed or will they be like the advisor who was clearly reading a script (which was highly infuriating as they didn't address my concerns).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
There will be no charge if it's "not fault found".

Whilst they may not guarantee upload speed, in a sense they're right with regards to throughput but it's quite clear here there's a fault.

I'd expect a manager to listen to your reasoning as they won't be following a script.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

@AndersonHowe If you need any help with this please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username, we're quite busy at the moment so it will take us a few days to get back to you but I'm sure we'll be able to help you get this fixed.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
AndersonHowe
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your response, I have sent the details over. Really appreciate any help you can give to get the issue fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@AndersonHowe I tried calling there but unfortunately missed you, as part of my checks I need a recent speed test to be completed on the www.speedtest.btwholesale.com website and need to ensure you choose the further diagnostics option after the initial test completes as this will record the results directly with wholesale and will help me prove there is an issue.

Please can you complete that test and post back here to let me know when that's done and I will get back in touch with you. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@AndersonHowe Many thanks for speaking with me today, I'm glad everything is working again Smiley Happy

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
tkei
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Having the same problem with a BT infinity 2 package in that I used to get 12mb upload and now this fluctuates between 0.5 to 3mb. 

Contacted BT 6 times over the phone in the last w months and the same response of they don’t guarantee upload speed. My son can’t play Xbox online with his mates so I feel I’m paying for a service which BT  aren’t providing.

Can I ask what resolved your issue as I’m totally frustrated with BT and the poor service they are providing. 

0 Ratings
HM102
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Hi. Luckily we had a decent engineer finally visit us. It was faulty equipment in the junction box away from our property that was causing the problem. You need to speak to someone in the UK, difficult I know, but they seem to understand the problem. Tell them you will go to the Ombudsman if they can’t sort the problem. That seems to get the ball rolling. Have you got noise on your phone line as well