Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
discosteve
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity 1 extremely slow during peak times

Hey everyone,

Over the last month or so, during peak times (17:00 - 01:00) our download speed drops to below 7MBps and we get high ping. This is well below our Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed.  Outside of these times we do not experience this instability. 

I know I should expect some congestion during these times, but the issue often renders the internet unusable.  

We have a home hub 5. I have been monitoring the performance over the last month, with hourly speedtests. See the end of this post for the output graphs (I can upload them in xls or csv if you would prefer). 

We have been live chatting most evenings and have up until this point had 2 engineer visits. The most recent engineer came to the house and found a minor fault on the line which he then resolved (31/05/17). However, he did mention that the fault found was highly unlikely to cause these sorts of issues and since his visit the service has not improved at all. 

We were told to expect a callback yesterday evening to check on the fault, but we did not receive one. We have had a number of different faults logged - all of which have been resolved without any improvement to the issue we are having. 

We experienced a similar issue back in October 2016 which was resolved, but we were never informed what the resolution was. 

Do you have any advice on my next step? 

Thanks 

Steven

2017-05-13-2017-05-31.PNG

2017-06-01-2017-06-02.PNG

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity 1 extremely slow during peak times

congestion issues are outside both Openreach and BT Retail
they are under BT Wholesales control and they will be aware of the problem and working on increasing network capacity this can take time all you can do is wait

Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed refers to the connection speed to your hub not download speeds
0 Ratings
discosteve
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi John

Thanks for replying so quickly.

How do I know that they are looking into this / working on increasing network capacity? All of the faults I have logged have been closed. I'm being left in the dark if that is the case.

Is it possible to check the speed I am getting to the hub?

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@discosteve wrote:

Hi John

Thanks for replying so quickly.

How do I know that they are looking into this / working on increasing network capacity? All of the faults I have logged have been closed. I'm being left in the dark if that is the case. You don't, you have to take it on trust.

Is it possible to check the speed I am getting to the hub? Of course, go to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk on the HH5 management page. Your sync speed will be listed.

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
discosteve
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi licquorice  

Thanks for your help.

Does this look about right to you?

hub.PNG

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

you have a higher than default noise margin that is reducing your connection speed you just need to let the DLM to do its job that can take several weeks that was caused by your line problem just maintain a stable 24/7 connection
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

I suspect you have an Infinity 1 service, in which case you are syncing at the maximum speed possible.

Looks absolutely fine.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

yes missed the title of the post(:
0 Ratings