cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

BT Infinity 1 - just installed but slow.

Hi, I wonder if anyone might be able to help.

The local cabinet has just been upgraded to fibre. I ordered Infinity 1 on the day it became available to order (around 15/3). It was connected yesterday.

I happened to bump into the openreach engineer up the road as he was working at a cabinet (was on my way to the shop).

We had a chat and he said he was connecting my house.

When I checked the speed over the next few hours and this morning the connection is consistently 15mbps. I understand that speed can fluctuate in the early days, but it has been consistent at that speed.

Any suggestions? The openreach chap was connecting us in an old looking green box about half the height of the box just 5 yards from the new cabinet. He said mine was the only one connected, but he had to completely rewire.

Is it possible I've been accidentally connected to the old one? Any other suggestions welcome.
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: BT Infinity 1 - just installed but slow.

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Could you also post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

Is your phone line working, can you get dial tone?

DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 3 of 27

Thank you for such a quick response. Here's the info from the link. 

Screenshot_2017-03-31-08-19-39.png

Phone line works and has a dialing tone. I'm out at the moment, but will post hub info in a few hours time. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Thanks for that.

The connection speed on the home hub should be between 39 and 53Mbs.

If you can post the hub info later, it will give a better indication of your service. There is no settling in period, you should get full speed right away, unless there is an issue with your own internal wiring, or the way you have things connected up.

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

Do you have any extension wiring to other sockets, as they will affect speed unless they are filtered?

This is usually the cause of slow speed.

Highlighted
Message 5 of 27

The new taller cabinet is the DSLAM. If you're on VDSL you will be connected to that. The DSLAM is connected to the copper PCP via tie pairs.

All the Installer does is remove the existing Copper E to Copper D jumper cable. Then junpers the Copper E to the FTTC D side tie cable. That'll put the dial tone on the FTTC E side cable which is then jumpered to the copper D side cable.

I'm not sure what he means by he had completely rewire it because you have to completely rewire all FTTC Installation jobs. Albeit take out one wire and put two back in its place.

If you're getting 15mbps now it'll either stay at that or possibly even get slower.

This is the biggest problem with Self Installs. The fault rate on FTTC went through the roof when they rolled it out because 9 times out of 10 the internal wiring setup in people's homes can't handle it and new builds are no better as Developers use some of the cheapest **bleep** cabling out there!

You'll have to wait 10 days before BT will send an Engineer. When they do it'll be via a SFVA, Superfast Vist Assure. Basically the Engineer is only sent out to prove the service works as it should up to and including the NTE. He won't be authorised to work on your internal wiring.

He'll then offer to fit an SSFP and you have the Hub there only. If you want if somewhere else either you'll have to get a Data Extension installed yourself or BT will have to pay Openreach for an FTTC Boost.
DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 6 of 27

Thanks for the reply.  Here's the info from the Smart Hub.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ70538724

Firmware version:

SG4B10002244

Firmware updated:

30-Mar-2017

-

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 9 Minutes 44 Seconds

Data rate:

3.62 kbps / 16.79 kbps

Maximum data rate:

3618 / 16788

Noise margin:

5.8 / 6.4

Line attenuation:

Signal attenuation:

0 / 334

-

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

5 MB Uploaded / 63 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-R5FG

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-R5FG

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Band steering:

Off

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

A4:08:F5:A2:E6:61

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Here's a photo of the socket:

20170331_110837 (3).jpg

This is the wiring where the BT cable comes into the house (link to photo as it is too large to post). There is another upstairs socket from the green and black cables. I've just moved in, but suspect the old owners had two lines. The other socket looks like the first photo.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMPLWicrn5e6fnxzh7oNDCwTY8X_PCi2a0H6SAv3y6q4Mq0Kq4efYuGXxon4eU2...

0 Ratings
DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 7 of 27

I meant to add, nothing is connected to the other socket.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

That speed is much to low. I assume that you get dial tone when the phone is plugged into that microfilter?

The wiring looks a total mess, so its almost certain you are going to need Openreach to visit, and rewire the external wiring before the master socket, and remove those extra wires going to the extension. As it is, its going to affect the speed.

Before you do that

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if the connection speed on the home hub increases.

test_socket.jpg

DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 9 of 27

TelephoneBob, thanks for your detailed reply.

Just a couple of questions - what do NTE and SSFP stand for?

Also, it appears I don't have a working phone line. When I call in, the phone rings, but when I answer I can just hear it ringing through the phone with lots of distortion - the phone I am dialing from carries on ringing as if it hasn't been answered.

And when I dial out, I can hear the number dial very quietly, like its in the distance, but there is no tone.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

Sounds as though one wire of your line is disconnected. NTE is the telephone socket and SSFP is a faceplate with a built in filter.