cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT Infinity 1 - just installed but slow.

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

That speed is much to low. I assume that you get dial tone when the phone is plugged into that microfilter?

The wiring looks a total mess, so its almost certain you are going to need Openreach to visit, and rewire the external wiring before the master socket, and remove those extra wires going to the extension. As it is, its going to affect the speed.

Not really a total mess Keith, pair1 of the external feed is crimped to pair1 of the internal cable and pair 2 is crimped to pair 1 of another external cable possibly feding another property. The crimps all look fine but perhaps one has become disconnected.

DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 12 of 27

From the test socket I'm getting 31.84 Mbps down, 1.3 Mbps up, 23.25 ms ping latency according to BT Wholesale speed test. I've not plugged the phone in to the filter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 27

If the phone does not work properly, then broadband will not work.

I expect there are a lot of corroded connections in that external box, especially that bottom one which would cause a poor connection.

I will repost your last picture below.

20170330_160702.jpg

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 27

@DerbyRich wrote:

From the test socket I'm getting 31.84 Mbps down, 1.3 Mbps up, 23.25 ms ping latency according to BT Wholesale speed test. I've not plugged the phone in to the filter.

That is better but not as good as it should be.

What connection speed is showing on the home hub?

DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 15 of 27

Data rate:    

2.21 kbps / 33.96 kbps

Thanks for all the advice by the way.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 27

@DerbyRich wrote:

Data rate:    

2.21 kbps / 33.96 kbps

Thanks for all the advice by the way.

This is going to need a visit to sort this out, as you have tested at the test socket, and anything before that is the responsibility of Openreach.

The incoming line needs rewiring straight to the master socket, and any other wires need to be removed.

You would also benefit by fitting a filtered faceplate in place of the bottom section. That has separate sockets for the phone and broadband.

This one is suitable, if the Openreach Field technician does not offer to fit one of theirs. (they may charge for it, so its much cheaper to fit your own)

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

Highlighted
DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 17 of 27

Thanks for your help and advice.

Do you know how I would go about arranging a visit? Is it a case of phoning BT and explaining?

Can I leave the router plugged into the test socket?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 27

yes phone and report a speed under minimum limit and you need an engineer visit yes you can leave it in the test socket
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 27

@DerbyRich wrote:
Thanks for your help and advice.

Do you know how I would go about arranging a visit? Is it a case of phoning BT and explaining?

Can I leave the router plugged into the test socket?

BT will insist that you wait 10 days, even though its obvious there is a fault.

You can leave it plugged into the test socket, but in the meantime, I would suggest you order a faceplate as I described, as its going to be neater.

DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 20 of 27

Thanks. Just followed the troubleshooter for the phone line fault and their diagnostic tool has detected a fault and ordered an engineer visit. It said they won't need access to the property.

Estimate for the visit is 6 days.

The confirmation also said:

"Whilst you have a fault you may experience problems with your other products:
Broadband
Slow speed, dropping connection, no connection"

In your experience, do you think it's worth contacting BT to try to tie in a visit about slow speed, or just see what happens in 6 days or so?
0 Ratings