cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 21 of 27

Re: BT Infinity 1 - just installed but slow.

Thanks. Will order the faceplate in the meantime, and try not to mess anything up wiring it in!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 27

No, only one visit is needed, it should solve both problems. You should get a clear dial tone when its fixed, and a better connection speed.

The faceplate will eliminate any issues you are getting with any extension wiring connected to the back of bottom section of your faceplate, as it will stop the broadband signal going down the extension wiring.

Highlighted
DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 23 of 27

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

No, only one visit is needed, it should solve both problems. You should get a clear dial tone when its fixed, and a better connection speed.

The faceplate will eliminate any issues you are getting with any extension wiring connected to the back of bottom section of your faceplate, as it will stop the broadband signal going down the extension wiring.

Thanks. Just realised there's a quote button. Doh.

One last question (probably...). I was thinking of replacing the Smart Hub with Netgear DS200 and R7000 (used the R7000 with Virgin hub in modem mode at my last house, so all port forwarding etc is set up). The Smart Hub appears fairly integral to the BT troubleshooting process. Should I just leave the Smart Hub in place until the problem has been resolved?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 27

Leave the smart hub in place until its fixed. You may find that it works just fine.

If you replace it, you will need a VDSL modem/router, so the Netgear may not be suitable unless you can obtain a second hand Openreach modem.

DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 25 of 27

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Leave the smart hub in place until its fixed. You may find that it works just fine.

If you replace it, you will need a VDSL modem/router, so the Netgear may not be suitable unless you can obtain a second hand Openreach modem.

The DS200 is a VDSL modem, but will leave the Smart Hub and see how I get on with it.

Funny how the upload speed seems to have suffered since changing to the test socket - from 3.5Mbps ish, to around 2Mbps. Can you see any reason for that?

So, just to conclude. Originally I was getting around 15-16Mbps down and 3.5Mbps up. Am I right in concluding that the extension wiring in the existing face plate (which is not the responsibility of Open Reach?) was causing the drop from 30Mbps to 15Mbps, but this is still below minimum guaranteed speed of 35Mbps from BT.

Does that sound about right?

I'll update if anyone asks for any information in the meantime, but will also update after the engineer's visit.

0 Ratings
DerbyRich
Beginner
Message 26 of 27

So, just a quick update.

My Smart Hub flashed purple on a few occasions earler today, and lo and behold my data rate is now 10.00 kbps up / 48.42 kbps. And my landline works!

Happy days. I've installed the Lindy faceplate (just disconnected the extension wiring as I don't need it). That's nice and neat.

Any tips for maximising the speed? The wiring that I took a photo of hasn't been changed. Think it'd make much difference to have that renewed? or a new master socket installed?

Thanks for everyone's help and advice - it was really good to have the problem explained and diagnosed. Thankfully the solution appears to have been pretty pain free too.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 27 of 27

While the problem was ongoing then DLM has most likely taken action to stabalise your line. Just leave it and as long as the connection is now stable DLM sould relent but it could take a few weeks.

0 Ratings