Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WestCoaster62
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

BT Infinity 1 - slow evening speeds

Go to solution

Good evening. First post from a frustrated customer after fruitless dealings with the BT Help teams!

I had the BT Infinity 1 Unlimited service & BT Smarthub installed and activated on 4/Apr/17 with the 52MB max speed offer.

Local exchange SAUID/Name is SWAAI ABERAERON (cabinet at SA46 0DY).

Living approx 30m from the fibre cabinet I have been seeing an acceptable 51.3MB download speed from midnight to around 7-8pm, after which the download speed dips dramatically to <10MB between 8-10pm, then slowly climbs back to 50MB by midnight.

This seems to be a common problem faced by fellow forum members with the root cause commonly being exchange congestion (often resolved by BT Wholesale switching VPs) ... yet all BT Help team members I have spoken to this week seem to be absolutely baffled/surprised by the existence of slow evening speeds and fail to mention exchange congestion, despite the fact that they have advised me to run BT Wholesale Speed Tests. The only advice I've been given is to split SSIDs but I'm not convinced that changing this will resolve this temporary download speed issue, which is evident on both ethernet or wireless connections.

In desperation, I'm reaching out to any of the forum moderators who would be able to take look at my BT Wholesale Speed Checker - Further Diagnostic results (measured via Ethernet during peak/slack periods) ... with a view to flagging a congestion and/or VP assignment issue to BT Wholesale for consideration and (hopefully) resolution.

Thanks in advance to any moderator who has time to help out. 

Cheers, Steve

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Infinity 1 - slow evening speeds

Go to solution

The BT Help team cannot see congestion problems, they don't have the tools for it. Congestion is in the remit of BT Wholesale.

Run a speed test HERE after the first test completes click on "Further Diagnostics" and post the result of that here.

FDB.jpg

Once you've done that the forum mods will be able to check if BT Wholesale have flagged congestion at your exchange and attempt to find out a fix date.

WestCoaster62
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

Hi Pippincp.

Many thanks for the quick reply. 

Yes, the chap on the BT help desk mentioned that BT Wholesale would indeed have access to their speed tests but also confirmed the he didn't have the capability to flag any issues reported to the BT Help Team to the BT Wholesale ... hence my decision to trawl the forums 🙂

Anyway, I just ran the further diagnostics for the 'fast' download speeds which I typically see after midnight (51MB).

I'll re-run the test during the 'slow' period this evening and will post results.

Thanks again, Steve 

BTW - Fast 51M.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

That's fine, after you've run the evening one don't do any more. The evening test will be recorded on Wholesale's servers, if you run another it will be overwritten.

0 Ratings
WestCoaster62
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Will do. Appreciate the heads-up 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @WestCoaster62

Welcome and thanks for posting!

Sorry for the slow speeds you're seeing during peak times.  This does sound like a congestion issue.  Can you do the test this evening when you get the chance?  Post it up and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
WestCoaster62
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for the welcome!

Ironically, I've been checking my speeds through the evening (waiting for the speed to drop) but I've yet to see download speed dip below 24MB on Ookla, with an average of 38MB between 6-10pm. They do say a watched pot never boils 😉 

I'll keep checking over the next few evenings and will post the BT Wholesale Test results if I see slowdown <10MB.

I'm wondering whether there's less congestion on a Friday evening if folks are out and about!

Please let me know if it would be useful for me to re-run the BT Test this evening (despite the acceptable speeds). 

Thanks again

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution
yes if the speed is below normal then post the results
WestCoaster62
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

OK John, I'll hold off posting until the evening speed dips again. 

Much obliged, Steve.

0 Ratings
WestCoaster62
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Aside from a brief dip to 15MB/s on Sunday I'm getting speeds between 23-51MB/s in the past few evenings. Will keep checking.

0 Ratings