cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxscottdog
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity 2 - BT Open Reach Engineer Stumped!! - Help

Hi in Towcester we just had BT Infinity come to town. Had installed the 80/20 service only to find I could only get 40/7 - everything tested and a fault was found. So engineer out - checked the line, line ok but yep getting reduced service. Checked the cabient which is 800m away, yep that was getting 80/20. Put a 700m dumb line on it and yep it reduced by half. So they changed the port in the cabient and re-did my profile. Then back to my house and still half what I should be getting. The engineer tested the copper all good!. Sounds like the cabient is not able to cope with the load. We agreed there is no way we should be loosing 40/13 on a perfectly good 800m line. 

Apparently he is going to leave the fault open but hey Im kinda concerned here. Towcester was proud enough to be one of these rural projects for superfastbroadband. I am suspecting its the cabient here anyone from BT shed some light here?

Kind regards

Scott 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity 2 - BT Open Reach Engineer Stumped!! - Help

That's a good speed for 800m. To get 80Mbps you really need to be within 200m line length to the cab.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

legitimise_sailing is correct - you are getting a very good service on a 800m line if you're achieving 40Mbps.  At the moment the expected maximum is somewhere around 35Mbps at 500m.

When Profile 30a is is employed on FTTC connections (I believe only Profile 17a is used on Infinity at the moment) you coould be able to achieve around 80Mbps on your line.

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

I am stumped that the engineer thought he could get 80/20 on a line that long, he wasn't from the Indian call centre by any chance? Smiley LOL

What's slow about FTTC........DLM 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

See graph for distance and speed. This with ideal lines so expect a bit less. Infinity is VDSL2

Speed Graph.gif 

0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

The full 80/20 on an 800m line, no chance.

Doesn't sound like a very well experienced to me, probably fresh out of training and still a little wet behind the ears.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 7

What estimate does THIS checker give you?

0 Ratings